Exemptions from exams
If you are a current student, you may be eligible for exemption from some of our professional exams if you have already demonstrated a sufficient knowledge of our exam syllabus.
Applying for exemptions
To apply for exemptions please complete the application form in the box at the right of this page.
Follow the links on the left to find out more about eligibility for exemptions.
Do you hold any of the following?
- An undergraduate or postgraduate degree or diploma
- If you hold an actuarial science degree or diploma, you may be eligible for exemption from some or all of the core technical (CT), core applications (CA), or specialist technical (ST) subjects.
- If you hold a non-actuarial degree or diploma, you may be eligible for exemption from some of the Core Technical (CT) subjects.
- Exam passes of these actuarial professional bodies
- Actuarial Society of South Africa (ASSA), Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS), China Association of Actuaries, Institute of Actuaries of Australia, Institute of Actuaries of India, Society of Actuaries (SoA)
- A postgraduate dissertation or thesis on an actuarial or numeric subject
- Another professional qualification.
Because university and professional body programmes change frequently, and a wide choice of subjects is often allowed, we can not give a comprehensive and detailed list of possible exemptions.
The exemptions will depend in each case on:
- whether the degree programme has an agreement with the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
- the scope and standard of the subjects covered by the particular exams
- your achievement of a satisfactory level of performance.
Mutual recognition of qualifications
If you are a fully qualified actuary with a body outside the UK, your qualification may be recognised by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries under our mutual recognition agreements.