About this event
The President of the IFoA, Marjorie Ngwenya, invites you to join her as she hosts the inaugural IFoA Africa Conference, our series of one-day events in Mauritius, Kenya and Nigeria.
This offers a superb opportunity to network with peers, global employers and representatives from regulatory bodies and have opportunity to build CPD hours through our Professional Skills Sessions hosted by Ben Kemp, IFoA.
- Registration Wed, 25/04/2018 - 08:00 - 09:00 Registration
- Plenary session Wed, 25/04/2018 - 09:00 - 09:10 Chair’s introduction
Marjorie Ngwenya, President of the IFoA.
Includes an introduction from James Olubayi, President of TASK.
- Plenary session Wed, 25/04/2018 - 09:10 - 09:40 Keynote address
- Plenary session Wed, 25/04/2018 - 09:40 - 10:40 Plenary 1: Professional Skills Session
Speakers: Ben Kemp, IFoA and Adil Suleman, Zamara Actuaries, Administrators & Consultants Limited
- Refreshments Wed, 25/04/2018 - 10:40 - 11:00 Refreshments
- Plenary session Wed, 25/04/2018 - 11:00 - 12:15 Plenary 2: Using analytics to generate business insights
This presentation provides practical insights into emerging insurance and other industry practices as they relate to data analytics. Several use cases will be demonstrated and will highlight the opportunities for businesses and practitioners to create value.
Speakers: Shaun Bennet, QED Actuaries & Consultants (Pty) Ltd
- Refreshments Wed, 25/04/2018 - 12:15 - 13:30 Lunch
- Workshop Wed, 25/04/2018 - 13:30 - 14:30 Plenary 3 workshops:
Workshop A: IFRS17
This presentation will provide highlights of IFRS17 and its practical and commercial implications for the operations of insurance companies.
Speaker: Thomas Njeru and Rebecca Muriuki, Deloitte
Workshop B: Risk Based Supervision…impacts, effects and next steps
This session will assess what the quantitative and qualitative impacts have been to the insurance industry to date, and the benefits that have been reaped. We will also highlight areas which are key for improvement in the model(s) as proposed for implementation. We will also look at how businesses have changed the way they operate to align to the new requirements.
Speaker: Mukami Njeru, Kenbright Actuarial and Financial Services
- Refreshments Wed, 25/04/2018 - 14:30 - 15:30 Afternoon refreshments
- Plenary session Wed, 25/04/2018 - 15:00 - 16:15 Plenary 4: The future of the actuarial profession in Africa panel debate
Speakers: Marjorie Ngwenya, President of the IFoA, Sundeep Raichura, Zamara and Ezekiel Macharia, Kenbright
- Plenary session Wed, 25/04/2018 - 16:15 - 16:30 Chair’s closing remarks
- Networking Wed, 25/04/2018 - 17:00 - 19:00 Member Event
Copies of speaker presentations can be found below.
Please note that some speakers prefer not to make their slides available before the event.