About this event
Join us as this year’s conference that will focus on topics including funding and savings, pension law current issues, ESG, the end game and transferring risk, investment issues, data visualisation and data science.
We hope you will join us for what promises to be a brilliant conference - expect a great line-up of speakers and a wide range of thought-provoking topics. A great opportunity to engage with those leading research, thought and innovation in the pensions sector. We expect this conference to be popular, so register quickly to secure your place.
Confirmed speakers include
David Gordon, Senior Review Actuary at the IFoA heading up the Actuarial Review Team.
David joined the IFoA at the start of 2020 with over 30 years’ experience in the pensions industry. He has worked with Willis Towers Watson throughout his career advising numerous UK pension schemes and their sponsors on how best to deliver funding, investment and risk management. Alongside client work, David provided guidance to colleagues worldwide on best practice and professional issues. He was Willis Towers Watson's Senior Quality Assurance Representative under the IFoA's Quality Assurance Scheme. David was voted the Actuarial Post's Pensions Actuary of the Year 2016.
Fiona Frobisher, Head of Policy at the Pensions Regulator
Fiona has responsibility for producing regulatory strategies, policies and products to help schemes, trustees and employers fulfil their duties and to ensure that TPR’s regulatory objectives are met.
Fiona joined Opra (the Pension Regulator’s predecessor) in 2002 before which she worked in the voluntary sector specialising in welfare legislation.
Judith Joy, Regulatory Lawyer in the General Counsel directorate of the IFoA.
Judith is responsible for drafting and maintaining standards, guidance and other material with the purpose of regulating the profession in the public interest. She currently manages the review of the CPD Scheme, the regulatory working party considering CDC Pension Schemes, and the IFoA’s Designated Professional Body Regime.
Lisa McCrory, Chief Finance Officer at the Pension Protection Fund (PPF)
Lisa McCrory was appointed as Chief Finance Officer at the PPF in February 2020. She joined the PPF in March 2009, and has been the Pension Protection Fund’s Chief Actuary since September 2018. Before this, she was Head of the Actuarial Financial Management Team.
She is responsible for providing actuarial advice to the Board on the PPF’s Funding Strategy, making sure that any assumptions we make are appropriate and consistent, and for signing the annual valuation of the fund for the Annual Report and Accounts.
Caroline Rookes, Non-executive Trustee of the Civil Service Sports Council Superannuation Scheme and interim Chair of the Pensions Ombudsman
Caroline's career has spanned several top management roles. She has extensive experience of, and expertise in shaping major policy programmes across Government including the development and introduction of automatic enrolment and the NEST pension scheme.
Steve Webb, Partner, LCP- Former Pensions Minister
Recently appointed as a partner at the consulting firm Lane Clark & Peacock (LCP) where he will work on the firm's client service offering and lead campaigns in helping the wider pensions industry stay apace of changes and members needs, Steve Webb is also the UK's longest serving Pensions Minister (2010-2015).
Steve recently received Honorary Fellowship of the IFoA for recognition of his contributions to pensions and social care in the UK.
- Registration Thu, 18/06/2020 - 14:30 - 15:30 Registration open
- Plenary session Thu, 18/06/2020 - 15:30 - 16:30 Plenary 1: Professional Skills
- Refreshments Thu, 18/06/2020 - 16:30 - 17:00 Refreshments
- Plenary session Thu, 18/06/2020 - 17:00 - 18:00 Plenary 2: An alternative view of pensions
Speaker: Derek Benstead, First Actuarial LLP
- Registration Thu, 18/06/2020 - 18:00 - 18:30 Registration open
- Social Thu, 18/06/2020 - 18:30 - 19:00 Drinks Reception
- Dinner Thu, 18/06/2020 - 19:00 - 23:30 Dinner
After dinner speaker: Vincent Franklin
- Registration Fri, 19/06/2020 - 08:30 - 09:00 Registration Open
- Plenary session Fri, 19/06/2020 - 09:00 - 10:10 Chair’s Welcome
Chair: Hilary Salt, First Actuarial
- Plenary session Fri, 19/06/2020 - 09:10 - 10:10 Plenary 3
Speaker: Steve Webb, Former Pensions Minister
- Transfer time Fri, 19/06/2020 - 10:10 - 10:20 Transfer time
- Workshop Fri, 19/06/2020 - 10:20 - 11:20 Workshop A
A1: GMP Equalisation
Speaker: Mark Williams, Buck
A2: Climate scenario analysis for a DB pension scheme – A case study
Speakers: Andrew Claringbold, Aon and Lisa Eichler, Ortec Finance
A3 - The State of PPF Universe
Speaker: Lisa McCrory, Pension Protection Fund
A4 - Professionalism session
Speaker: TBC, IFoA
- Refreshments Fri, 19/06/2020 - 11:20 - 11:45 Refreshments
- Plenary session Fri, 19/06/2020 - 11:45 - 12:45 Plenary 4
Speaker: Caroline Rookes, Interim Chair at Pension Ombudsmen
- Refreshments Fri, 19/06/2020 - 12:45 - 13:30 Lunch
- Plenary session Fri, 19/06/2020 - 13:30 - 13:40 Presidential Update
- Workshop Fri, 19/06/2020 - 13:40 - 14:40 Workshop B
B1: Cash is King – where next for CDI
Speaker: Norbert Fullerton, Janus Henderson
B2: AMS Thematic Review Programme & changes to the CPD Scheme
Speakers: Judith Joy and David Gordon, IFoA
B3: Longevity – CMI update
Speaker: Katherine Fossett, CMI Limited
B4: Public Service Pensions – Good Pensions that last
Speaker: Dale Walmsley, First Actuarial
- Transfer time Fri, 19/06/2020 - 14:40 - 14:50 Transfer time
- Workshop Fri, 19/06/2020 - 14:50 - 15:50 Workshop C
C1: Decumulation in pension plans via pooled annuities
Speakers: Catherine Donnelly, Heriot Watt University and Tim Jablonski
C2: Integrated Risk Management: Pensions Risky Business
Speakers: John Breedon and Gary Mayall, Buck
C3 - Impact of Dividends and other covenant leakage on Pensions Scheme Funding
Speakers: Jane Ralph, Barnett Waddingham and Jacqui Woodward, XPS Group
C4: Legal Update: Make your mind up time
Speakers: Patrick Kennedy, Gateley Legal
- Refreshments Fri, 19/06/2020 - 15:50 - 16:10 Afternoon refreshments
- Plenary session Fri, 19/06/2020 - 16:10 - 17:10 Plenary 5
Speaker: Fiona Frobisher, Head of Policy, TPR
- Other Fri, 19/06/2020 - 17:10 - 17:15 Chair’s closing comments
Chair: Hilary Salt, First Actuarial
Copies of the presentation slides will be added to this section as and when they are sent in by speakers, so please keep coming back to check for the presentations you need.