About this event
The Protection, Health and Care Conference is an annual conference aimed at all insurance professionals with a passion for harnessing insurance risk in their organisations. The conference uses a combination of workshops by individuals who work at the coalface and ‘big name’ experts to explore how innovation, technological/medical advances, the political landscape and other market development will impact the Protection, Health and Care markets.
For sponsorship and exhibition enquiries, please contact Nicola Theobald.
All Plenary speakers will be announced soon.
After Dinner Speaker Hannah Fry
Mathematician and broadcaster Hannah Fry is a lecturer in the Mathematics of Cities at the Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis, University College London. As well as her university work she is a regular presenter of science and maths programmes on BBC TV and radio.
Having specialised in fluid dynamics, Hannah worked briefly in Formula 1 aerodynamics before returning to academia. At UCL she works with physicists, mathematicians, computer scientists, architects and geographers to study the patterns in human behaviour – particularly in urban environments – answering questions from shopping habits to transport, to urban crime and riots. Beyond life in a city, she also considers the maths of the everyday; how numbers and formula can explain behaviours, predict patterns and reveal the truth behind commonly held myths.
- Networking Mon, 21/05/2018 - 17:00 - 18:45 Registration (Networking & Canapes)
- Plenary session Mon, 21/05/2018 - 18:45 - 19:00 Introduction and Welcome
- Plenary session Mon, 21/05/2018 - 19:00 - 20:00 Plenary 1
- Networking Mon, 21/05/2018 - 20:00 - 23:00 Buffet Dinner and Networking
- Registration Tue, 22/05/2018 - 08:30 - 09:00 Registration
Only for those who have not already registered
- Other Tue, 22/05/2018 - 09:00 - 09:15 Welcome to Protection Health and Care 2018
- Other Tue, 22/05/2018 - 09:15 - 09:30 Presidential Address: IFoA President, Marjorie Ngwenya
- Plenary session Tue, 22/05/2018 - 09:30 - 10:30 Plenary 2
- Refreshments Tue, 22/05/2018 - 10:30 - 11:00 Morning Refreshments
- Workshop Tue, 22/05/2018 - 11:00 - 11:50 Workshop A
A1: Innovations abroad - the South African market
Damien Bartlett and Emma Denby, SCOR
A2: Modelling Antibiotic resistance - IFoA working party
Matthew Edwards, Willis Towers Watson
Nicola Oliver, Medical Intelligence
Sheridan Fitzgibbon, L&G
A3: Using English National Dataset to estimate Models of Functional Disability
Mohamed Elsheemy, NHS England
- Workshop Tue, 22/05/2018 - 12:00 - 12:50 Workshop B
B1: IP for the gig economy: what we have learned 5000 claims later
Zoe Woodroffe, Gen Re and Joanne Wells LV=
B2: A new Dutch term assurance product – Innovation or back to basics?
Elaine Turner, Achmea Reinsurance
B3: Do new genetic technologies pose an existential threat to products like CI
Paul Edwards, Hannover Re UK Life Branch
- Refreshments Tue, 22/05/2018 - 12:50 - 13:50 Lunch
- Workshop Tue, 22/05/2018 - 13:50 - 14:50 Masterclass sessions
M1: Gravitas Lavitas
Some people have a natural authority that’s often called gravitas. When they speak others listen. When they walk into a room others take notice. Others have levitas – a playful quality that can lighten the mood.
Some people can exhibit both gravitas and levitas, but many default to one or the other – while some come across as bland, lacking either characteristic. This workshop will help them continue their professional development by giving them a thorough understanding of gravitas and levitas – what they are, why they matter and how to go about developing them.
M2: Strategic Networking
Successful networking is about taking a strategic approach rather than relying on chance. You need to be clear about your ultimate purpose and develop a structured plan for achieving it. This session will cover both face-to-face networking and how to build a strong personal brand via social media. Participants will leave with increased confidence in their ability to become the person that people want to speak to, know how to connect with others in both formal and online situations, and have an action plan for making the most of future networking opportunities.
M3: Using EI to Better Manage Actuarial Teams
- Plenary session Tue, 22/05/2018 - 14:50 - 15:50 Plenary 3
- Refreshments Tue, 22/05/2018 - 15:50 - 16:20 Afternoon refreshments
- Workshop Tue, 22/05/2018 - 16:20 - 17:10 Workshop C
C1: What if we find a cure for obesity?
Nay Wynn, Hannover Re
C2: CMI Income Protection experience and new graduations
Duncan Heald, SCOR Global Life SE and Mark Paulson, CMI Secretariat
C3: “ProTECHtion”: New business models in a new world
Constantinos Rossides, EY
Luca De Sanctis, Ernst & Young
Roberto Ascione, Healthware
Dimitrios Velmachos, EY London
- Workshop Tue, 22/05/2018 - 17:20 - 18:10 Optional Workshop
Changes to the Actuaries Code and the new Monitoring project by IFoA Regulatory team
- Networking Tue, 22/05/2018 - 19:00 - Wed, 23/05/2018 - 00:00 Conference dinner and after dinner speaker
Conference dinner (19.30) and after dinner speaker, Hannah Fry (21.30)
- Plenary session Wed, 23/05/2018 - 09:00 - 10:00 Plenary 4
- Workshop Wed, 23/05/2018 - 10:10 - 11:00 Workshop D
D1: Critical illness: emerging trends
Nisha Price and Aisling Kennedy, Swiss Re
D2: InsurTech: How do insurers assess the risks and opportunities?
Richard Purcell, Hymans Robertson and Daniel Bruce, Crowe Horwath
D3: Wearables and the Internet of Things: Working Group Report
Anna Spender, Pyson and Colin Bullen, Habits at Work
- Workshop Wed, 23/05/2018 - 11:30 - 12:20 Workshop E
E1: Reinventing CI - An Asian Case Study
Chris Reynolds, PartnerRe
E2: Early Intervention and Prevention - the Changing Face of Health Cash Plans
Courtney Marsh, Health Shield Friendly and Jennie Doyle, Health Shield Friendly
E3: Insuring heat-not-burn e-cigarette smokers
Matthew Edwards, Willis Towers Watson
Richard Marshall, Willis Towers Watson
Thomas McGrath, Phillip Morris International
- Networking Wed, 23/05/2018 - 12:20 - 13:20 Lunch
- Plenary session Wed, 23/05/2018 - 13:20 - 14:20 Plenary 5
Panel of insurers to discuss different serious illness product designs
- Other Wed, 23/05/2018 - 14:20 Conference closes
- Plenary session Wed, 23/05/2018 - 14:30 - 15:20 Optional Plenary 6: Professionalism
Speaker: Malcom Slee and Richard Galbraith Aviva Life Services UK Limited
Papers will be available once the programme has been finalised.