- identification and quantification of the key factors affecting mortality/longevity such as lifestyle choices, medical conditions and/or interventions
- modelling of temporal changes in the factors affecting morbidity and mortality
- evaluation of plausible scenarios in mortality trends due to particular medical advances or lifestyle changes on the population of insureds of relevance to actuarial community
- tools to forecast longevity risk of a book based on realistic scenarios of uptake of various health behaviours and/or interventions, or of particular disruptions to population health.
Life expectancy calculator
- Family Medicine and Community Health Journal Do statins reduce mortality in older people? Findings from longitudinal study using primary care records, May 2021. Blog June 2021
- Insurance Mathematics and Economics Calculation of changes in individual and period life expectancy based on proportional hazards model of an intervention, Nov 2020
- The Actuary A Fine Scale, May 2020
- Journal of Hypertension Optimal systolic blood pressure targets in routine clinical care, Apr 2019
- The Actuary Statins: figures on the pulse, Aug 2018
- BMJ Survival prospects after acute myocardial infarction in the United Kingdom: a matched cohort study 1987-2011, Jan 2017
- Longevity Bulletin Use of big health and actuarial data for understanding longevity and morbidity risk, Dec 2016
- PLOS ONE Survival benefits of statins for primary prevention: a cohort study, Nov 2016
- ARC Webinar Series 2021 - Use of Primary Health Care Records Data in Actuarial Research, 9 March 2021
The research team discussed their findings on the longevity of people with major long term medical conditions such as diabetes, transient ischaemic attack and stroke and assessed the effects of key treatments such as hormone replacement therapy. A demonstration was given of the mylongevity.org and a shiny app for life expectancy with diabetes.
- ARC Technical Workshop Beyond Proportional Hazards, Staple Inn Hall, Oct 2019
- ARC Sessional How Medical Advances and Health Interventions Will Shape Future Longevity, Mar 2019
- ARC Webinar Series 2018 Use of Big Health and Actuarial Data for understanding longevity and morbidity risk, Sept 2018
- ARC Sessional How medical advances and health interventions will shape future longevity, June 2018
- ARC Webinar Series 2017 Use of Big Health and Actuarial Data for understanding Longevity and Morbidity, June 2017
If you want more information about our research programmes please contact the IFoA Actuarial Research Centre:
Filter or search events
Louise Pryor, IFoA President, will chair this free-to-view session, in which Alex Darsley, TPR, Actuarial Regulatory Policy, will be discussing the regulator’s Climate Change Guidance Consultation, which is seeking views on new guidance designed to help trustees meet tougher standards of governance in relation to climate change ri
Internal audit is often the Cinderella of the audit world. It’s a regulatory requirement for insurance companies to have an internal audit function, so why not make it as useful as possible? This session will look at how to link an internal audit plan to the risk register, and how that helps audit committees and boards to spot problems and fix them.
Climate change is one of the greatest risks facing our world today. Addressing it will require multi-faceted solutions. Through this panel session, we will explore the different levers that can be used to meet net-zero targets including climate science and data, government engagement, and mobilising green finance.