The world of Data Science continues to be both a threat and an opportunity for actuaries in traditional and new areas of work. The IFoA Council are keen to see our strategy develop and build on the work of the Modelling, Analytics, and Insights from Data working party 'MAID'. This sessional meeting at Staple Inn will be a working event to share progress, exchange views about what data science means for the profession, and most importantly, what we can and should be doing to engage with it as actuarial professionals.
The event will be facilitated by members of the MAID working party and will cover four themes:
1) What is machine learning in the context of the data science universe?
2) Review of MAID’s work so far; and in particular the presentation of four data science case studies involving the application of new data science techniques to real world data and problems.
3) View on professional implications of advances in data science.
4) A wide ranging and open discussion.
This is a cross-practice workshop session aimed at all members with an interest in data science and its implications for the actuarial profession.
The results of the MAID Working Party - Research Workstream's recent survey will be referred to at this meeting:
Contact Events Team for more information.
0207 632 1498
17.00 – 17.30 Registration and refreshments
17.30 – 17.35: Chair’s welcome – Michael Tripp
17.35 – 17.40: Opener - Research Overview – Michael Tripp
17:40 – 17:50: Machine Learning – Alan Chalk
17.50 – 18:10: What actuaries need to do their work - Case Studies
‐Exposure Management ‐ Alex Panlilio
‐ Marine Hull ‐ Alex Panlilio
- Mortality - Valerie du Preez
‐ Utilising Unstructured Data - Zhixin Lim
18:10 –18:20: Wider implications for the profession - Henry Mungalsingh
18.20 – 18.45: Questions from the floor
18.45 – 18:55: Closer – Jamie Marshall
18:55 – 19.00: Chair’s comments and close
Staple Inn Hall, High Holborn, London, WC1V 7QJ