How to trace resources
This page explains how to search for resources and the best search to use to locate what you are looking for.
The online library catalogue
- Access over 40,000 actuarial books, research papers and articles held in the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries libraries and online
- Borrow books or request scanned copies of articles (subject to copyright)
- Download online articles free of charge
- Submit reviews of books or articles for publication on the catalogue which may count as part of your CPD
We aim to respond the same day. If you cannot find an item in the catalogue, please contact the library staff who will do their best to trace it for you.
Catalogue of books published before 1901
Books published before 1901 are not included in the online catalogue. You can download a list as a pdf:
Website document library
To search for a document, article or conference presentation published by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, use the website document search on the right-hand side of this page. After you have input your search terms you will be able to refine your search using filters.
* This search will not find books held in the libraries or articles in journals not published by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.
You may browse through documents by series, for example consultation responses and GIRO papers, via the document downloads pages.
The 'paper and presentation archive' offers access to papers released from past conferences, seminars and sessional meetings held. Click to select the year and then the event title to view papers available. Note that earlier year conference papers may have subsequent topics updates reported at events of more recent years.
Journal of the Institute of Actuaries (JIA) / Transactions of the Faculty of Actuaries (TFA)
JIA/TFA papers may be found by searching the document library. The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries site does not have a facility to browse its journals by volume but a complete archive of JIA and TFA arranged by volume is available on JSTOR. Log in to the Athens portal to access it.
British Actuarial Journal (BAJ) / Annals of Actuarial Science (AAS)
- Browse by volume and download papers on the Cambridge University Press site via Athens. Or, members can log in and navigate to: http://www.actuaries.org.uk/research-and-resources/pages/access-journals
- Papers published in BAJ can also be traced via the Sessional Meeting papers page
Journals we subscribe to
The libraries subscribe to over 200 journals. Download list here.
If we do not stock the journal you need, it is likely we can obtain articles for you from other sources. Please contact us.