SA1 - Health and care. Specialist applications
This specialist applications subject will provide the successful candidate with the ability to apply knowledge of the UK health and care environment and the principles of the actuarial practice to the provision of health and care benefits in the UK.
You can find details of:
- full objectives of the course in the syllabus
- any changes made to the syllabus for this year’s exams
- past exam papers.
These documents, and others, are available on the right of this page.
Learning portal for SA1
The learning portal contains links to the suggested reading listed in Unit 14 of the SA1 Core Reading. Students may find it useful to consult some of the material to obtain a wider appreciation or different viewpoint when studying a particular topic. However, students are not expected to have read all of the items on the list or to have gained a detailed knowledge of any particular topic additional to that contained in the Core Reading. Equally, students may use other sources of information to enhance their wider understanding, such as:
- The financial press and weekend supplements
- The trade press, particularly those which specialise in health and care
- The bulletins and other publications from reinsurers
- Information on the websites of bodies such as the ABI and FSA
- Papers from the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries and the Staple Inn Actuarial Society
- Bulletins from the Continuous Mortality Investigation
- Presentations made at recent Healthcare Conferences
- Health-related presentations at recent Younger Members Conventions and Life Conventions
- Health Seminars arranged by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
- Other recommended references on the Health and Care Practice Area pages of the site
- Papers from Health and Care reading list produced by the libraries.
Staple Inn Actuarial Society papers
The comparative effects on UK public expenditure of implementing long-term care systems as practised in Japan, Germany and Sweden. Karlsson, Martin; Mayhew, Les; Plumb, Robert H; Rickayzen, Ben D (2004)
The chronic disease burden - an analysis of health risks and health care usage. (2005) Alder, Joanne; Mayhew, Les; Moody, Simon; Morris, Richard; Shah, Rajeev
Exploring the critical path. (2006) Robjohns, Neil; Galloway, Hamish; Morris, Richard; Reid, Scott K; Wells, Joanne C
Long-term care insurance: a guide to product design and pricing. (1998) Dullaway, David; Elliott, Sue
Pensions and healthcare for an ageing population. (2011) Jollans, Alastair
Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
ERM and strategic business management for health insurance companies. (2010) Orros, George; Smith, John