- Actuarial Association of Europe (formerly Groupe Consultatif Actuariel Européen)
- CAA Global: Joint venture of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries and the Society of Actuaries (USA) to offer the Certified Actuarial Analyst qualification around the world.
- Chartered Enterprise Risk Actuary CERA Global Association
- International Actuarial Association
- Financial Reporting Council: Oversight of the actuarial profession in the United Kingdom
- 'International actuarial links'
A wide-ranging page of links to resources for actuaries that are maintained by Emil Valdez, University of Connecticut, up to 2014.
- Argentina: Consejo Profesional De Ciencias Económicas De La Capital Federal
- Australia: Institute of Actuaries of Australia
- Austria: Aktuarvereinigung Osterreichs
- Bangladesh: Actuarial Society of Bangladesh (via LinkedIn)
- Belgium: Association Royale des Actuaires Belges
- Brazil: Instituto Brasileiro de Atuaria
- Bulgaria: Bulgarian Actuarial Society
- Canada: Canadian Institute of Actuaries
- Caribbean: Caribbean Actuarial Association
- Chile: Instituto de Actuarios Matematicos de Chile
- China: China Association of Actuaries
- Colombia: Asociacion Colombiana de Actuarios
- Croatia: Hrvatsko Aktuarsko Drustvo
- Cyprus: Cyprus Association of Actuaries
- Czech Republic: Ceská Spolecnost Aktuárú
- Denmark: Den Danske Aktuarforening
- Finland: Suomen Aktuaariyhdistys
- Germany Deutsche Gesellschaft für Versicherungsmathematik e.V
- Greece Hellenic Actuarial Society
- Hong Kong Actuarial Society of Hong Kong
- Hungary Hungarian Actuarial Society
- Iceland Felag Islenskra Tryggingastaerofraeoinga
- India Institute of Actuaries of India
- Indonesia: Persatuan Aktuaris Indonesia (link via IAA site)
- Ireland: Society of Actuaries in Ireland
- Israel: Israel Association of Actuaries (site in Hebrew)
- Italy: Istituto Italiano degli Attuari
- Korea: Institute of Actuaries of Korea
- Luxembourg: Association Luxembourgeoise des Actuaires
- Malaysia: Actuarial Society of Malaysia
- Morocco: Association Marocaine des Actuaires
- The Netherlands: Het Actuarieel Genootschap (Dutch Actuarial Association)
- New Zealand: New Zealand Society of Actuaries
- Norway: Den Norske Aktuarforening
- Pakistan: Pakistan Society of Actuaries
- The Philippines: Actuarial Society of the Philippines
- Poland: Polskie Stowarzyszenie Aktuariuszy
- Portugal: Instituto dos Actuarios Portugueses
- Singapore: Singapore Actuarial Society
- Slovakia: Slovak Society of Actuaries
- Slovenia: Slovensko Aktuarsko Drustvo
- South Africa: Actuarial Society of South Africa
- Switzerland: Association Suisse des Actuaires/Schweizerischen Aktuarvereinigung
- Taiwan: Actuarial Institute of Chinese Taipei
- Thailand: Society of Actuaries of Thailand
- Ukraine: Lviv Actuaries, Ukraine. Actuarial Education and Reference Centre
- United Kingdom:
- United States:
- American Academy of Actuaries
- American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries
- Casualty Actuarial Society (non-life insurance)
- Conference of Consulting Actuaries
- Society of Actuaries
- Be An Actuary A site for those interested in becoming an actuary, sponsored by the Casualty Actuarial Society and the Society of Actuaries
- Chartered Enterprise Risk Actuary CERA Global Association (CGA): Promotes and administers the CERA credential worldwide.
- CAA Global: Joint venture of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries and the Society of Actuaries (USA) to offer the Certified Actuarial Analyst qualification around the world.
- Certificate in Data Science (Institute and Faculty of Actuaries and Southampton Data Science Academy, accredited by Web Science Institute, University of Southampton)
- The Actuarial Education Company: 'ActEd' provides actuarial tuition accredited whilst addressing the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries exam curriculum.
- Universities offering actuarial science degrees and diplomas, with which we have exemption agreements
Actuarial discussion forum - primarily SOA/CAS and Canadian but includes a UK section.
- The Actuary: Jobs
The Actuary: Jobs is the official job board for the IFoA
- Actuary Jobs
Search actuarial jobs across all sectors
- Actuarial association magazines:
- Actuarial Review (Casualty Actuarial Society, USA)
- L'Actuariel (Institut des Actuaires, France)
- Actuaries Digital (Actuaries Institute Australia)
- Actuarios (Instituto del Institute de Actuarios, Spain)
- The Actuary (Institute and Faculty of Actuaries)
- The Actuary magazine (Society of Actuaries, USA)
- Actuary India (Institute of Actuaries of India)
- Contingencies (American Academy of Actuaries)
- The European Actuary. (Triannual magazine of the Actuarial Association of Europe and its member associations)
- Actuarial peer-reviewed journals
(*IFoA members can access journal archives after member login to the IFoA Actuarial Knowledge Hub along with other library subscribed journals ):
- Anales del Instituto de Actuarios
- Annals of Actuarial Science* (member access via IFoA website login)
- ASTIN Bulletin: the Journal of the International Actuarial Association
- British Actuarial Journal* (member access via IFoA website login)
- Bulletin Français d'Actuariat
- Casualty Actuarial Society publications
- Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance*
- Geneva Risk and Insurance Review*
- Insurance: Mathematics and Economics*
- Journal of Finance*
- Journal of Risk and Insurance*
- North American Actuarial Journal*
- Quantitative Finance
Articles on quantitative methods in finance and the practical applications of financial engineering
- Scandinavian Actuarial Journal*
- South African Actuarial Journal
- Variance (Casualty Actuarial Society)
- Insurance industry, pensions, and risk management periodicals:
- Swiss Re
Includes a wide range of insurance publications for downloading
- Swiss Re
- Actuarial Toolkit: Glossary (Society of Actuaries, USA)
- Glossary of finance, insurance and actuarial terminology (Directrix)
- The following glossary documents on the IFoA website were developed by David Forfar FFA from Institute and Faculty core reading materials in 2002:
- British Library Online Catalogue
Search the 8.5 million books and other material in the British Library's catalogues
- Chartered Insurance Institute (CII): Knowledge Services
Library and information service for CII members: Receives external inquiries advising possible charges to non-members. Technical and market information on insurance, risk, and related financial services and an international gateway to other published material on these subjects. Includes technical fact files, a digital journal archive, a library of scanned papers, a global Web directory, an online bookshop, and other document delivery services.
- EthOS: British Library E-thesis Online Service
Use Advanced Search for 'Actuarial', 'Insurance', 'Pensions' or 'Risk Management' to find UK university doctoral theses, sort by 'Newest' for the latest research on actuarial subjects.
- Global Data: Insurance
- Subscription service portal to regularly updated reports covering market trends and analysis, rankings, forecasts, regulatory information, and insight into hot topics in insurance, with supporting statistics
Directory of insurance companies on the web
- Incomes Data Services
Includes good series of economic indicators
- International actuarial links
A wide-ranging page of links to resources for actuaries maintained by Emil Valdez, University of Connecticut
- Jisc Library Hub Discover
Search the union online catalogue of items held by many national, academic, and specialist (subject) libraries in the UK and Ireland.
- National Archives - UK National Digital Archive of Datasets
Contains archived digital data from UK government departments and agencies. The system has been available since March 1998 and provides open access to the catalogues of all its holdings, and free access to open datasets following a simple registration process. Includes a useful page for mortality data 1901-1992
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations
Search 'Actuarial', 'Insurance', 'Pensions' or 'Risk Management', for open access doctoral theses of universities worldwide.
- Pandemics: IFoA Hub
Portal to the IFoA's collation of IFoA actuarial perspectives (Continuous Mortality Investigation monitoring, articles and blogs by IFoA members, regulation and guidance, webinars, reports and papers and digests assessing economic impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic. In addition, selected resource hub sites of external organisations, and research relating to previous pandemics.
Register for free to search a database of research papers, some pre-journal versions, or those then linked to final peer-reviewed publications.
- Social Science Research Network
Over 98, 000 research papers, many can be downloaded free of charge
- Serials Union CATalogue for the UK research community
Invaluable for locating journals and finding out about journals in a specific subject area.
- Accounting Web
Free registration includes news and information, newswires, document library and career zone
- IFRS Foundation
Website for International Financial Reporting Standards set by the International Accounting Standards Board including standards for Insurance Contracts and Retirement Benefit Plans.
- Bank of England
The central bank of the United Kingdom
- London Institute of Banking and Finance
The Institute develops and delivers a range of qualifications. The site includes information on qualifications, seminars, training events, conferences and lectures, an online library catalogue, and links to other financial services sites.
- UK statute law database
Official revised edition of the primary legislation of the UK
- Czech Digital Mathematics Library
Access to Applications of Mathematics, Archivum Mathematicum, Commentationes Mathematicae Universitatis Carolinae, and Czechoslovak Mathematical Journal
- Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
Professional and learned society for qualified and practising mathematicians. Its mission is to promote mathematics in industry, business, the public sector, education, and research.
- London Mathematical Society
Major British learned society for mathematics
- Numerical Algorithms Group
Develops and provides software to solve complex mathematical problems
- Oxford-Man Institute of Quantitative Finance
Centre for academic research in quantitative finance, with special emphasis on alternative investments
- Royal Statistical Society
Forum for all who are interested in statistics
- Smith Institute
Aims to spread the use of mathematics and computer science, and in particular the intellectual discipline of the mathematical way of thinking, more widely in the formulation of industrial strategy and in the planning of industrial products and processes.
- Global Burden of Disease (GBD) Resource Centre (The Lancet)
The GBD study offers a powerful resource to understand the changing health challenges facing people across the world in the 21st century. Led by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), the GBD study is the most comprehensive worldwide observational epidemiological study to date. Articles on findings from each GBD survey are reported in The Lancet journal.
- Human Mortality Database
'The HMD database was created to provide detailed mortality and population data to researchers, students, journalists, policy analysts, and others interested in the history of human longevity. The project began from earlier projects at the University of California, Berkeley, USA, and at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research in Rostock, Germany. The Center on the Economics and Development of Aging (CEDA) French Institute for Demographic Studies (INED) has also supported further development of the database in recent years' - HMD website.
- Human Life Table Database
Part of the Human Mortality Database project, maintained by the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR), Germany.
- IAA Mortality Task Force: Information Base
Follow links to 'Information base' and 'Country reports' for updates on mortality research provided by IAA Mortality Working Group members.
- Mortality Data Directory
The Mortality Research Steering Committee (MRSC) and IFoA have produced a Mortality Data Directory which lists free and commercial datasets available in the area of mortality. The data sets include UK, Republic of Ireland, European, and International data sets. It is hoped that greater access to and awareness of these data sets will enable accurate modelling of information allowing actuaries to make informed decisions regarding longevity and mortality in relation to life assurance, pensions, and long-term care products.
This app is being developed based on the results of research within the programme on 'Big Health and Actuarial Data for understanding Longevity and Morbidity Risks’ funded by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries and commissioned through the Actuarial Research Centre, and of the research within the ESRC funded Business and Local Government Data Research Centre. App development was funded by the University of East Anglia (UEA). Data sources on which calculations are based are outlined, and please note
- National Archives - UK: Historic Mortality Dataset
Archived digital data from UK government departments and agencies includes a useful page for mortality data 1901-1992.
- Pandemics: IFoA Hub
Portal to the IFoA's collation of IFoA actuarial perspectives (Continuous Mortality Investigation monitoring, articles and blogs by IFoA members, regulation and guidance, webinars, reports and papers, and digests assessing economic impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic. In addition, selected resource hub sites of external organisations, and research relating to previous pandemics.
- Society of Actuaries 'Living to 100' website
Information about the 'Living to 100' research initiative on aging, increases in survival rates, and the implications. The site includes news, monographs from past symposia, research, media, and trade coverage, links to numerous resources, and the latest information on the next 'Living to 100 Symposium'.
- Investment Property Forum
An independent organisation aimed at improving the awareness, understanding, and efficiency of property as an investment.
- Financial Reporting Council: Actuaries
Following the Morris Review of the Actuarial Profession, published in March 2005, HM Treasury asked the Financial Reporting Council (FRC) to take on responsibility for oversight of the actuarial profession in the UK by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) and the independent setting of technical actuarial standards. This latter task was the remit of the Board for Actuarial Standards until 2 July 2012 when responsibility was assumed by the FRC. The FRC seeks to promote high-quality actuarial practice and the integrity, competence, and transparency of the actuarial profession – to the benefit of all those who rely on actuarial advice.
See also IFoA's website: Upholding Standards
- Financial Conduct Authority
‘The Financial Conduct Authority is the conduct regulator for 56,000 financial services firms and financial markets in the UK and the prudential regulator for over 24,000 of those firms.’
- Former UK financial regulators: Legacy publications
This includes some rulebooks of predecessor UK organisations to the Financial Conduct Authority including the Financial Services Authority, Securities and Investments Board, Personal Investment Authority, and others.
- Morris Review of the Actuarial Profession (HM Treasury report now available through The National Archives)
- Prudential Regulatory Authority (at Bank of England)
The Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) was created as a part of the Bank of England by the Financial Services Act (2012) and is responsible for the prudential regulation and supervision of around 1,700 banks, building societies, credit unions, insurers, and major investment firms. The PRA’s objectives are set out in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (FSMA).
- International Compliance Association
The International Compliance Association is a non-profit making professional organisation dedicated to the furtherance of best compliance and anti-money laundering practice in the financial services sector
- The Pensions Regulator
Regulator of work-based pension schemes in the UK
- The Compliance Exchange
E-Information Centre for Compliance Officers, investment professionals, and students
- UK regulators, government, and other bodies
This FCA page offers links to other UK bodies with whom the FCA works closely.
- Wikipedia: List of financial regulatory authorities by country
Data from the statistical office of the European Union, situated in Luxembourg, with data themes including 'Economics and Finance', 'Population and social conditions', 'Industry, trade and services' and 'Environment and Energy' (with Climate Change)
- International Monetary Fund: IMF eLibrary including selection by IMF Topic Guide
Reports and publications on global economics, and financial conditions.
- Office for National Statistics
Official UK statistics site containing a vast range of official UK statistics and information about statistics, which can be accessed and downloaded free.
See also UK Government search for latest UK issued and expected Research and Statistics allowing searches by topic, world location, and organisation.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD): Data
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe: Knowledge Hub on Sustainable Development Goals
Links to data, country reports guidelines, and tools worldwide (not just Europe).
- British Official Publications Collaborative Reader Information Service
A web-based database of British Official Publications 1688-1995
- Central Government site
Includes index to all departments and agencies
- Corporation of London
- Department for Work and Pensions
Information about current social security legislation and benefits. The Department was formed on 8 June 2001 from parts of the former Department of Social Security, parts of the former Department for Education and Employment, and the Employment Service
- Government Actuary's Department
Providing mainly public sector clients with independent, professional actuarial advice
- Official documents
Full text of selected Government reports - White Papers, Green Papers, and House of Commons Papers - and links to Acts of Parliament, Statutory Instruments, and a range of other official information
- Scottish Parliament
Brings together the complete runs of all parliamentary resources. Current editions of the Business Bulletin, Official Reports, Minutes, WHISP (What's Happening in the Scottish Parliament), and other items which bear on current business
- UK Legislation
Full text of Acts of Parliament from 1988, Statutory Instruments from 1987, and other legislative documents
- UK Parliament
Includes the full text of many publications produced by the Stationery Office for Parliament, normally available on the same day as the item is published in printed form
- UKOP On-line
Subscription catalogue of United Kingdom Official publications together with listings of other major British, European, and International organisations. Contains 360,000 continually updated records of official reports and documentation from 1980 onwards
- Welsh Assembly
- Wired-gov - A personalised e-mail alert service in collaboration with the Government's News Distribution Service (GICS Cabinet Office).
Suggestions for new links for non-commercial information sources are welcome. Please e-mail the IFoA Library Service.
*This page contains links to external websites. Although we make every effort to ensure these links are accurate, up to date, and relevant, the IFoA cannot take responsibility for pages maintained by external providers. The IFoA takes no responsibility for information contained on external links from this website. Views expressed by individuals and organisations on external sites are not necessarily those of the IFoA itself.
For any library enquiries please contact:
We try to respond to email queries within one working day. Researcher access to historical resources may require notice in advance of visit in order to retrieve items from storage.
Filter or search events
Over recent months there has been a sharp rise in M&A activity involving British businesses, with interest from overseas, domestic buyers and Private Equity investors.
Frank Redington is recognised as one of the most influential actuaries of all time. In this talk, Craig will review some of Redington's most important ideas. He will identify the consistent actuarial principles that form a common thread across the contributions Redington made to a broad range of actuarial fields, and will highlight the ongoing relevance of Redington's thinking to 21st century actuarial practice.
The IFoA Mental Health working party look back over their week of blogs and podcasts considering all aspects of the relationship between mental health and life insurance. The expert panel spans adviser, underwriter and actuarial experience and they explore triggers for purchasing insurance relating to mental health, the various routes to insurance and how these may be more suited to different people depending on their conditions and preferences, the products and processes involved in purchasing these as well as what claims and support are available to policyholders and how to access them.
Part of the 'Finance in the Public Interest 2022' webinar series. If it was ever okay to consider your business in isolation from its surroundings, today it most definitely is not. Thinking about business within its surrounding system is now a necessity. The question we seek to discuss is: How should we prescribe the boundaries in which we consider problems to enable us to create better products and more resilient companies and systems?
What will happen to DC pension savers who see life annuities as poor VFM but still want an income for life? Pooled annuity funds could offer them a decent lifetime income while reducing significantly the complex choices and risk inherent in income drawdown. They could be the next generation of CDC pension schemes, slotting into the existing DC framework as a post-retirement option.
Investment risk-sharing is a fundamental part of whole-life collective defined contribution (CDC) pension schemes, such as the Royal Mail CDC. But how does investment risk-sharing benefit members? And does it favour some groups of members over others?