Suggestions for new links always welcome. Please e-mail us.
- Regulation by FRC
- The Actuary magazine - the magazine of the actuarial profession
- The European Actuary. Biannual magazine of the Dutch 'Actuarieel Genootschap & Actuarieel Instituut', the German 'Deutsche Aktuarvereinigung', the French Institut des Actuaires, and the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, United Kingdom
- International Actuarial Association.
- Argentina Consejo Profesional De Ciencias Económicas De La Capital Federal
- Australia Institute of Actuaries of Australia
- Austria Aktuarvereinigung Osterreichs
- Bangladesh Actuarial Society of Bangladesh
- Belgium Association Royale des Actuaires Belges
- Brazil Instituto Brasileiro de Atuaria
- Bulgaria Bulgarian Actuarial Society
- Canada Canadian Institute of Actuaries
- Caribbean Caribbean Actuarial Association
- Chile Instituto de Actuarios Matematicos de Chile
- China China Association of Actuaries
- Colombia Asociacion Colombiana de Actuarios
- Croatia Hrvatsko Aktuarsko Drustvo
- Cyprus Cyprus Association of Actuaries
- Czech Republic Ceská Spolecnost Aktuárú
- Denmark Den Danske Aktuarforening
- Finland Suomen Aktuaariyhdistys
- Germany Deutsche Gesellschaft für Versicherungsmathematik e.V
- Greece Hellenic Actuarial Society
- Hong Kong Actuarial Society of Hong Kong
- Hungary Hungarian Actuarial Society
- Iceland Felag Islenskra Tryggingastaerofraeoinga
- India Institute of Actuaries of India
- Indonesia Society of Actuaries of Indonesia
- Ireland Society of Actuaries in Ireland
- Israel Israel Association of Actuaries (site in Hebrew)
- Italy Istituto Italiano degli Attuari
- Luxembourg Association Luxembourgeoise des Actuaries
- Malaysia Actuarial Society of Malaysia
- Morocco Association Marocaine des Actuaires
- The Netherlands Het Actuarieel Genootschap (Dutch Actuarial Association)
- New Zealand New Zealand Society of Actuaries
- Norway Den Norske Aktuarforening
- Pakistan Pakistan Society of Actaries
- The Philippines Actuarial Society of the Philippines
- Poland Polskie Stowarzyszenie Aktuariuszy
- Portugal Instituto dos Actuarios Portugueses
- Singapore Sigapore Actuarial Society
- Slovakia Slovak Society of Actuaries
- Slovenia Slovensko Aktuarsko Drustvo
- South Africa Actuarial Society of South Africa
- Switzerland Association Suisse des Actuaires/Schweizerischen Aktuarvereinigung
- Taiwan Actuarial Institute of the Republic of China
- Thailand Society of Actuaries of Thailand
- Ukraine Lviv Actuaries, Ukraine. Actuarial Education and Reference Centre
- United Kingdom:
- United States:
- American Academy of Actuaries
- American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries
- Casualty Actuarial Society (non-life insurance)
- Conference of Consulting Actuaries
- Society of Actuaries
- Be An Actuary A site for those interested in becoming an actuary, sponsored by the Casualty Actuarial Society and the Society of Actuaries
- International organisations:
- Universities offering actuarial science degrees and diplomas, with which we have exemption agreements
- The Actuarial Education Company (ActEd)
ActEd provides actuarial tuition on behalf of the actuarial profession.
- A site for those considering a career in science or engineering
Actuarial discussion forum - primarily SOA/CAS and Canadian but includes a UK section.
- News periodicals:
- Actuarial peer-reviewed journals:
- ASTIN Bulletin
- Annals of Actuarial Science
- British Actuarial Journal
- Casualty Actuarial Society publications
- Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance
- Insurance: Mathematics and Economics
- Journal of Finance
- Journal of Risk and Insurance
- North American Actuarial Journal
- Quantitative Finance
Articles on quantitative methods in finance and the practical applications of financial engineering
- Scandinavian Actuarial Journal
Over 900,000 acronyms with definitions
- Actuarial glossary maintained by the University of Cape Town
- Euronext glossary of futures and options terms
- The following glossaries are under development. Please email suggestions for improvement to David Forfar
- The Actuary Jobs
The Actuary Jobs is the official job board for SIAS and the IFoA
- Actuary Jobs
Search actuarial jobs across all sectors
- British Library Online Catalogue
Search the 8.5 million books and other material in the British Library's catalogues
- CII Library Online
Technical and market information on insurance, risk and related financial services and an international gateway to other published material on these subjects. Includes technical fact files, a digital journal archive, a library of scanned papers, a global Web directory, an online bookshop and other document delivery services.
- Copac library catalogue
Search the merged online catalogues of the major university and national libraries in the UK and Ireland
Directory of insurance companies on the web
- Incomes Data Services
Includes good series of economic indicators
- International actuarial links
A wide-ranging page of links to resources for actuaries maintained by Emil Valdez, University of Connecticut
- National Archives - UK National Digital Archive of Datasets
Contains archived digital data from UK government departments and agencies. The system has been available since March 1998 and provides open access to the catalogues of all its holdings, and free access to open datasets following a simple registration process. Includes a useful page for mortality data 1901-1992
- Partnership Bulletin
A portal for news, research, tender information and market analysis relating to the private finance initiative and public private partnership projects in the UK and beyond
- Social Science Research Network
Over 98, 000 research papers, many can be downloaded free of charge
- Serials UNion CATalogue for the UK research community
Invaluable for locating journals and finding out about journals in a specific subject area.
A free online encyclopaedia of statistics and probability hosted by Springer and sponsored by leading statistical societies.
Latest public statistics from sources including the World Bank, Eurostat and the Office for National Statistics.
- Accounting Web
Free registration includes news and information, newswires, document library and careerzone
- International Accounting Standards Board
Website of the International Accounting Standards Board which holds information on the IAS 19 disclosure standard for pension scheme liabilities.
- The Bank of England
The central bank of the United Kingdom
- ifs School of Finance
The ifs School of Finance develops and delivers a range of qualifications. The site includes information on qualifications, seminars, training events, conferences and lectures, on-line library catalogue and links to other financial services sites.
- Casetrack database
Updated daily. Provides full-text judgments. Searchable by case name, date, subject, judge or name of legal representative
- UK statute law database
Official revised edition of the primary legislation of the UK
- Index to Pensions Law Reports Series
An authoritative source of court decisions on pensions issues. Each report sets out the full text of a legal decision, accompanied by a summary of the facts and a concise comment assessing the significance of each case
- Merrill Legal Solutions
Clients have access to a wealth of resources, expertise and experience. From pan-global scanning and forensic collection projects to real-time court reporting and evidence presentation services.
- Czech Digital Mathematics Library
Access to Applications of Mathematics, Archivum Mathematicum, Commentationes Mathematicae Universitatis Carolinae and Czechoslovak Mathematical Journal
- Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
Professional and learned society for qualified and practising mathematicians. Its mission is to promote mathematics in industry, business, the public sector, education and research
- London Mathematical Society
Major British learned society for mathematics
- Numerical Algorithms Group
Develops and provides software to solve complex mathematical problems
- Oxford-Man Institute of Quantitative Finance
Centre for academic research in quantitative finance, with special emphasis on alternative investments
- Royal Statistical Society
Forum for all who are interested in statistics
- Smith Institute
Aims to spread the use of mathematics and computer science, and in particular the intellectual discipline of the mathematical way of thinking, more widely in the formulation of industrial strategy and in the planning of industrial products and processes.
- Society of Actuaries 'Living to 100' website
Information about the 'Living to 100' research initiative on aging, increases in survival rates and the implications. Site includes news, monographs from past symposia, research, media and trade coverage, links to numerous resources and the latest information on the next 'Living to 100 Symposium'.
- IAA Mortality Working Group Information base: Sources of mortality data worldwide.
- Mortality Data Directory
The Mortality Research Steering Committee (MRSC) and IFoA have produced a Mortality Data Directory which lists free and commercial datasets available in the area of mortality. The data sets include UK, Republic of Ireland, European and International data sets. It is hoped that greater access to and awareness of these data sets will enable accurate modelling of information allowing actuaries to make informed decisions regarding longevity and mortality in relation to life assurance, pensions and long term care products.
- Investment Property Forum
An independent organisation aimed at improving the awareness, understanding and efficiency of property as an investment.
- Financial Reporting: Council Actuarial Policy
- ‘Following the Morris Review of the Actuarial Profession, published in March 2005, HM Treasury asked the Financial Reporting Council (FRC) to take on responsibility for oversight of the regulation of actuaries by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) and the independent setting of technical actuarial standards. This latter task was the remit of the Board for Actuarial Standards until 2 July 2012 when responsibility was assumed by the FRC. The FRC seeks to promote high quality actuarial practice and the integrity, competence and transparency of the actuarial profession – to the benefit of all those who rely on actuarial advice.’
- Financial Conduct Authority
‘The Financial Conduct Authority is the conduct regulator for 56,000 financial services firms and financial markets in the UK and the prudential regulator for over 24,000 of those firms.’
- Former UK financial regulators: Legacy publications
This including some rulebooks of predecessor UK organisations to the Financial Conduct Authority including the Financial Services Authority, Securities and Investments Board, Personal Investment Authority and others.
- Morris Review of the Actuarial Profession (HM Treasury report now available through The National Archives)
- Prudential Regulatory Authority (at Bank of England)
‘The Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) was created as a part of the Bank of England by the Financial Services Act (2012) and is responsible for the prudential regulation and supervision of around 1,700 banks, building societies, credit unions, insurers and major investment firms. The PRA’s objectives are set out in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (FSMA).’
- International Compliance Association
The International Compliance Association is a non-profit making professional organisation dedicated to the furtherance of best compliance and anti money laundering practice in the financial services sector
- The Pensions Regulator
Regulator of work-based pension schemes in the UK
- The Compliance Exchange
E-Information Centre for Compliance Officers, investment professionals and students
- Compliance Resource Network
Links to financial services compliance-related sites and daily news on compliance issues.
- UK regulators, government and other bodies
This FCA page offers links to other UK bodies with whom the FCA works closely.
- Wikipedia: List of financial regulatory authorities by country
- Office for National Statistics
The official UK statistics site containing a vast range of official UK statistics and information about statistics, which can be accessed and downloaded free
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
Links to official statistical organizations worldwide (not just Europe).
- British Official Publications Collaborative Reader Information Service
A web-based database of British Official Publications 1688-1995
- Central Government site
Includes index to all departments and agencies
- Corporation of London
- Department for Work and Pensions
Information about current social security legislation and benefits. The Department was formed on 8 June 2001 from parts of the former Department of Social Security, parts of the former Department for Education and Employment, and the Employment Service
- Government Actuary's Department
Providing mainly public sector clients with independent, professional actuarial advice
- Office of Fair Trading
The aim of the OFT is to make markets work well for consumers
- Official documents
Full text of selected Government reports - White Papers, Green Papers and House of Commons Papers - and links to Acts of Parliament, Statutory Instruments and a range of other official information
- Scottish Parliament
Brings together the complete runs of all parliamentary resources. Current editions of the Business Bulletin, Official Reports, Minutes, WHISP (What's Happening in the Scottish Parliament) and other items which bear on current business
- UK Legislation
Full text of Acts of Parliament from 1988, Statutory Instruments from 1987 and other legislative documents
- UK Parliament
Includes the full text of many publications produced by the Stationery Office for Parliament, normally available on the same day as the item is published in printed form
- UKOP On-line
Subscription catalogue of United Kingdom Official publications together with listings of other major British, European and International organisations. Contains 360,000 continually updated records of official reports and documentation from 1980 onwards
- Welsh Assembly
- Wired-gov - A personalised e-mail alert service in collaboration with the Government's News Distribution Service (GICS Cabinet Office).
For any library enquiries please contact:
We try to respond to email queries within one working day. Researcher access to historical resources may require notice in advance of visit in order to retrieve items from storage.
Filter or search events
Data Visualisation helps to communicate information clearly and effectively through graphical means. This talk will showcase some visualisations that the working party has found useful for common actuarial situations. To book you place please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Data Visualisation helps to communicate information clearly and effectively through graphical means. This talk will showcase some visualisations that the working party has found useful for common actuarial situations. To register, please email Ji-Hyang.Lee@Barnett-Waddingham.co.uk
This General Insurance CPD offering has been changed from former years of individual one day seminars to include individual sessions for IFRS 17, Pricing, Capital Modelling and Reserving over a two-day event packaged as Technical Issues in General Insurance, providing attendees with a varied program . The event is suitable for anyone who works, or are interested, in these areas.
Presented by Yossi Sirote
In collaboration with the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, IEMA is delighted to host this important Webinar. This is an opportunity to hear first-hand from Steve Waygood, an industry leader and member of the TCFD, and from two leading practitioners from the environmental sustainability and actuarial professions.
Data Visualisation helps to communicate information clearly and effectively through graphical means. This talk will showcase some visualisations that the working party has found useful for common actuarial situations. The event is now full, however if you would like to join a waiting list, please email Barry_shannon@standardlife.com
L'Institut des Actuaires and French actuaries in the UK, partnered with Aviva, are delighted to be hosting their annual "l'afterwork" event for French speaking actuaries in the UK. The event will mix French and English interventions.
Register via this link to be added to the guest list: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rencontre-annuelle-des-actuaires-francophones-londres-tickets-59758941603
The CMI SAPS Mortality Committee and Mortality Projections Committee will be holding a joint webinar, aimed primarily at pension scheme trustees, describing considerations relating to setting longevity assumptions in 2019.
The 2017 North Atlantic hurricane season was one of the most active on record. We saw multiple hurricanes coming close together causing significant damage and human loss. The talk discusses whether 2017 was an exceptional year or indicative of what we expect to see in the near future, and the implications for (re)insurers.
Do you know when, how, and to whom, you are required to Speak Up?
What do we mean by “Misconduct” under the IFoA’s Disciplinary and Capacity for Membership Schemes?
Offering a diverse selection of plenary sessions and cross-practice workshops, the annual Asia Conference is the perfect opportunity to discover and discuss current and developing actuarial topics in Asia, whilst providing excellent opportunity to grow your network of contacts.
Do you know when, how, and to whom, you are required to Speak Up?
What do we mean by “Misconduct” under the IFoA’s Disciplinary and Capacity for Membership Schemes?
This session will examine our biases, look at what it feels like to be an outsider and give attendees practical tools and actions we can all take to support and grow diversity and inclusion, within the profession. This session is also designed to meet the objectives of the IFoA’s Stage 3 Professional Skills Training for experienced members.
This talk will discuss the various methods available for equalising GMP, key considerations and actions for both Trustees and Companies, and a discussion of some of the associated legal issues. To register, please email Sarah.Dawes@KPMG.co.uk
In this interactive session, our facilitators, Russell Borland and Thomas Chalmers, Partners of UK-based coaching consulting firm, Leading Figures, will explore how we can enhance our EQ to make the most of our IQ. They will introduce an Emotional Intelligence framework developed by psychologist Daniel Goleman and provide participants with an opportunity to personally assess their own Emotional Intelligence. To register please email Caitlin.email@example.com
CILA is one of the pre-eminent events in the annual Life calendar. It is aimed at practicing life actuaries from life offices, consulting firms and other employers of actuaries. It will also be of interest to all those who work in or advise on, the life assurance market in the UK and Europe.
Jointly sponsored by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, Society of Actuaries, and CIA, this webcast will present research that compares the risk profiles of pension plans in the UK, the US, and Canada.
This webinar is eligible for CPD
At the end of this session, attendees will be able to:
This KSS talk will give a bulk annuity market update over 2018 and for 2019 and beyond. The presenters will also consider bulk annuity options as part of pension scheme de-risking strategies, and how pension schemes can best prepare when requesting a quote in order to achieve a favourable outcome. Please note this event is now full, however, if you wish to join a waiting list, please email Dawn.Neil@willistowerswatson.com.
This KSS talk will give a bulk annuity market update over 2018 and for 2019 and beyond. The presenters will also consider bulk annuity options as part of pension scheme de-risking strategies, and how pension schemes can best prepare when requesting a quote in order to achieve a favourable outcome. To book a place please email Dawn.Neil@willistowerswatson.com
The aim of this interdisciplinary symposium is to gain understanding and awareness of UK private SMEs about their insurance need as a part of cyber risk management and mitigation strategies.
This year's event begins with a Professional Skills Training plenary to help build your CPD, followed by a formal drinks reception and dinner on the evening of 20 May. The following day will then be a programme full of topical plenaries and workshops covering the latest trends and topical issues in the risk and investment sector with plenty of opportunities to network with colleagues and build your CPD.
On May 20-24 2019, Prof Søren Asmussen (Aarhus University) will deliver a course on lectures on advanced topics in life insurance mathematics. This will be held at the International Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Edinburgh, and will be accompanied by supporting lectures from Prof Corina Constantinescu (University of Liverpool) and Prof Andrew Cairns (Heriot-Watt University). To register, please visit https://www.icms.org.uk/LMSAsmussen.php.
This event is fully booked. To join the waiting list plase click here.
This talk will discuss the various methods available for equalising GMP, key considerations and actions for both Trustees and Companies, and a discussion of some of the associated legal issues. To register please email Sarah.Dawes@KPMG.co.uk
Presented by Richard Schneider
The Mortality and Longevity Symposium aims to expand delegates’ horizons by giving a better view of the scope of current mortality research in a wide variety of relevant disciplines, and by providing a forum to discuss the implications for actuarial practice and it will be of interest to all actuaries concerned with setting or reviewing mortality and longevity assumptions, underwriters, demographers, epidemiologists, policy-
The Protection, Health and Care Conference is an annual conference aimed at all insurance professionals with a passion for harnessing insurance risk in their organisations. The conference uses a combination of workshops by individuals who work at the coalface and ‘big name’ experts to explore how innovation, technological/medical advances, the political landscape and other market development will impact the Protection, Health and Care markets.
Substantial work has been undertaken in the field of behavioural finance to explore the psychological factors affecting investment decisions made by individuals. In contrast, “behavioural” factors (such as politics or human psychology) affecting decisions and actions made by institutional investors, such as insurers or pension schemes, are less understood.
Covering current topics and industry trends, the conference also includes a pre-conference evening dinner (18 June) giving you the opportunity to develop your network.
This KSS talk from FinTech Scotland's CEO will explore the mission to create an integrated Fintech ecosystem through provision of funding, support, infrastructure and talent that recognises and responds to the needs of all stakeholders - and the overarching aim for Scotland to be one of the top 5 Fintech global leaders by 2020.
To book your place, please email Barry_Shannon@standardlife.com
CIGI will provide an excellent and diverse line-up of speakers, each providing their insight and knowledge on a range of topics. The programme will be broad in nature, so will be of most value to those with some experience in the industry.
Fake news, post truth, mistrust of experts... a familiar roll call of anxieties – or perhaps clichés – about our data rich world. They point to an underlying fear that in this data abundant age the bad data drives out the good and we are left with a broken public discourse.
The pensions dashboard has been talked about across the industry for a long time and now nears implementation with DWP’s consultation ending in January 2019.
Notice is hereby given that the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING of the INSTITUTE AND FACULTY OF ACTUARIES will be held at The Hub, Edinburgh on Wednesday 26 June 2019 at 16.30 (Preceded by tea from 16.00) and followed by a PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS given by John Taylor.
Air pollution has gained increasing attention lately. Nicola Oliver, head of longevity and mortality research for Medical Intelligence, will discuss not only the impacts of air pollution on health and life expectancy but also how as an industry we should be addressing it.
GIRO is attended annually by over 800 delegates and speakers who are keen to discuss key topics such as Pricing, Reserving, Modelling and the future of the insurance industry. GIRO 2018 was a huge success and we have opened bookings early for what we hope will be another brilliant conference at the EICC in Edinburgh this year.