Suggestions for new links always welcome. Please e-mail us.
- Regulation by FRC
- The Actuary magazine - the magazine of the actuarial profession
- The European Actuary. Biannual magazine of the Dutch 'Actuarieel Genootschap & Actuarieel Instituut', the German 'Deutsche Aktuarvereinigung', the French Institut des Actuaires, and the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, United Kingdom
- International Actuarial Association.
- Argentina Consejo Profesional De Ciencias Económicas De La Capital Federal
- Australia Institute of Actuaries of Australia
- Austria Aktuarvereinigung Osterreichs
- Bangladesh Actuarial Society of Bangladesh
- Belgium Association Royale des Actuaires Belges
- Brazil Instituto Brasileiro de Atuaria
- Bulgaria Bulgarian Actuarial Society
- Canada Canadian Institute of Actuaries
- Caribbean Caribbean Actuarial Association
- Chile Instituto de Actuarios Matematicos de Chile
- China China Association of Actuaries
- Colombia Asociacion Colombiana de Actuarios
- Croatia Hrvatsko Aktuarsko Drustvo
- Cyprus Cyprus Association of Actuaries
- Czech Republic Ceská Spolecnost Aktuárú
- Denmark Den Danske Aktuarforening
- Finland Suomen Aktuaariyhdistys
- Germany Deutsche Gesellschaft für Versicherungsmathematik e.V
- Greece Hellenic Actuarial Society
- Hong Kong Actuarial Society of Hong Kong
- Hungary Hungarian Actuarial Society
- Iceland Felag Islenskra Tryggingastaerofraeoinga
- India Institute of Actuaries of India
- Indonesia Society of Actuaries of Indonesia
- Ireland Society of Actuaries in Ireland
- Israel Israel Association of Actuaries (site in Hebrew)
- Italy Istituto Italiano degli Attuari
- Luxembourg Association Luxembourgeoise des Actuaries
- Malaysia Actuarial Society of Malaysia
- Morocco Association Marocaine des Actuaires
- The Netherlands Het Actuarieel Genootschap (Dutch Actuarial Association)
- New Zealand New Zealand Society of Actuaries
- Norway Den Norske Aktuarforening
- Pakistan Pakistan Society of Actaries
- The Philippines Actuarial Society of the Philippines
- Poland Polskie Stowarzyszenie Aktuariuszy
- Portugal Instituto dos Actuarios Portugueses
- Singapore Sigapore Actuarial Society
- Slovakia Slovak Society of Actuaries
- Slovenia Slovensko Aktuarsko Drustvo
- South Africa Actuarial Society of South Africa
- Switzerland Association Suisse des Actuaires/Schweizerischen Aktuarvereinigung
- Taiwan Actuarial Institute of the Republic of China
- Thailand Society of Actuaries of Thailand
- Ukraine Lviv Actuaries, Ukraine. Actuarial Education and Reference Centre
- United Kingdom:
- United States:
- American Academy of Actuaries
- American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries
- Casualty Actuarial Society (non-life insurance)
- Conference of Consulting Actuaries
- Society of Actuaries
- Be An Actuary A site for those interested in becoming an actuary, sponsored by the Casualty Actuarial Society and the Society of Actuaries
- International organisations:
- Universities offering actuarial science degrees and diplomas, with which we have exemption agreements
- The Actuarial Education Company (ActEd)
ActEd provides actuarial tuition on behalf of the actuarial profession.
- A site for those considering a career in science or engineering
Actuarial discussion forum - primarily SOA/CAS and Canadian but includes a UK section.
- News periodicals:
- Actuarial peer-reviewed journals:
- ASTIN Bulletin
- Annals of Actuarial Science
- British Actuarial Journal
- Casualty Actuarial Society publications
- Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance
- Insurance: Mathematics and Economics
- Journal of Finance
- Journal of Risk and Insurance
- North American Actuarial Journal
- Quantitative Finance
Articles on quantitative methods in finance and the practical applications of financial engineering
- Scandinavian Actuarial Journal
Over 900,000 acronyms with definitions
- Actuarial glossary maintained by the University of Cape Town
- Euronext glossary of futures and options terms
- The following glossaries are under development. Please email suggestions for improvement to David Forfar
- The Actuary Jobs
The Actuary Jobs is the official job board for SIAS and the IFoA
- Actuary Jobs
Search actuarial jobs across all sectors
- British Library Online Catalogue
Search the 8.5 million books and other material in the British Library's catalogues
- CII Library Online
Technical and market information on insurance, risk and related financial services and an international gateway to other published material on these subjects. Includes technical fact files, a digital journal archive, a library of scanned papers, a global Web directory, an online bookshop and other document delivery services.
- Copac library catalogue
Search the merged online catalogues of the major university and national libraries in the UK and Ireland
Directory of insurance companies on the web
- Incomes Data Services
Includes good series of economic indicators
- International actuarial links
A wide-ranging page of links to resources for actuaries maintained by Emil Valdez, University of Connecticut
- National Archives - UK National Digital Archive of Datasets
Contains archived digital data from UK government departments and agencies. The system has been available since March 1998 and provides open access to the catalogues of all its holdings, and free access to open datasets following a simple registration process. Includes a useful page for mortality data 1901-1992
- Partnership Bulletin
A portal for news, research, tender information and market analysis relating to the private finance initiative and public private partnership projects in the UK and beyond
- Social Science Research Network
Over 98, 000 research papers, many can be downloaded free of charge
- Serials UNion CATalogue for the UK research community
Invaluable for locating journals and finding out about journals in a specific subject area.
A free online encyclopaedia of statistics and probability hosted by Springer and sponsored by leading statistical societies.
Latest public statistics from sources including the World Bank, Eurostat and the Office for National Statistics.
- Accounting Web
Free registration includes news and information, newswires, document library and careerzone
- International Accounting Standards Board
Website of the International Accounting Standards Board which holds information on the IAS 19 disclosure standard for pension scheme liabilities.
- The Bank of England
The central bank of the United Kingdom
- ifs School of Finance
The ifs School of Finance develops and delivers a range of qualifications. The site includes information on qualifications, seminars, training events, conferences and lectures, on-line library catalogue and links to other financial services sites.
- Casetrack database
Updated daily. Provides full-text judgments. Searchable by case name, date, subject, judge or name of legal representative
- UK statute law database
Official revised edition of the primary legislation of the UK
- Index to Pensions Law Reports Series
An authoritative source of court decisions on pensions issues. Each report sets out the full text of a legal decision, accompanied by a summary of the facts and a concise comment assessing the significance of each case
- Merrill Legal Solutions
Clients have access to a wealth of resources, expertise and experience. From pan-global scanning and forensic collection projects to real-time court reporting and evidence presentation services.
- Czech Digital Mathematics Library
Access to Applications of Mathematics, Archivum Mathematicum, Commentationes Mathematicae Universitatis Carolinae and Czechoslovak Mathematical Journal
- Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
Professional and learned society for qualified and practising mathematicians. Its mission is to promote mathematics in industry, business, the public sector, education and research
- London Mathematical Society
Major British learned society for mathematics
- Numerical Algorithms Group
Develops and provides software to solve complex mathematical problems
- Oxford-Man Institute of Quantitative Finance
Centre for academic research in quantitative finance, with special emphasis on alternative investments
- Royal Statistical Society
Forum for all who are interested in statistics
- Smith Institute
Aims to spread the use of mathematics and computer science, and in particular the intellectual discipline of the mathematical way of thinking, more widely in the formulation of industrial strategy and in the planning of industrial products and processes.
- Society of Actuaries 'Living to 100' website
Information about the 'Living to 100' research initiative on aging, increases in survival rates and the implications. Site includes news, monographs from past symposia, research, media and trade coverage, links to numerous resources and the latest information on the next 'Living to 100 Symposium'.
- IAA Mortality Working Group Information base: Sources of mortality data worldwide.
- Mortality Data Directory
The Mortality Research Steering Committee (MRSC) and IFoA have produced a Mortality Data Directory which lists free and commercial datasets available in the area of mortality. The data sets include UK, Republic of Ireland, European and International data sets. It is hoped that greater access to and awareness of these data sets will enable accurate modelling of information allowing actuaries to make informed decisions regarding longevity and mortality in relation to life assurance, pensions and long term care products.
- Investment Property Forum
An independent organisation aimed at improving the awareness, understanding and efficiency of property as an investment.
- Financial Reporting: Council Actuarial Policy
- ‘Following the Morris Review of the Actuarial Profession, published in March 2005, HM Treasury asked the Financial Reporting Council (FRC) to take on responsibility for oversight of the regulation of actuaries by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) and the independent setting of technical actuarial standards. This latter task was the remit of the Board for Actuarial Standards until 2 July 2012 when responsibility was assumed by the FRC. The FRC seeks to promote high quality actuarial practice and the integrity, competence and transparency of the actuarial profession – to the benefit of all those who rely on actuarial advice.’
- Financial Conduct Authority
‘The Financial Conduct Authority is the conduct regulator for 56,000 financial services firms and financial markets in the UK and the prudential regulator for over 24,000 of those firms.’
- Former UK financial regulators: Legacy publications
This including some rulebooks of predecessor UK organisations to the Financial Conduct Authority including the Financial Services Authority, Securities and Investments Board, Personal Investment Authority and others.
- Morris Review of the Actuarial Profession (HM Treasury report now available through The National Archives)
- Prudential Regulatory Authority (at Bank of England)
‘The Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) was created as a part of the Bank of England by the Financial Services Act (2012) and is responsible for the prudential regulation and supervision of around 1,700 banks, building societies, credit unions, insurers and major investment firms. The PRA’s objectives are set out in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (FSMA).’
- International Compliance Association
The International Compliance Association is a non-profit making professional organisation dedicated to the furtherance of best compliance and anti money laundering practice in the financial services sector
- The Pensions Regulator
Regulator of work-based pension schemes in the UK
- The Compliance Exchange
E-Information Centre for Compliance Officers, investment professionals and students
- Compliance Resource Network
Links to financial services compliance-related sites and daily news on compliance issues.
- UK regulators, government and other bodies
This FCA page offers links to other UK bodies with whom the FCA works closely.
- Wikipedia: List of financial regulatory authorities by country
- Office for National Statistics
The official UK statistics site containing a vast range of official UK statistics and information about statistics, which can be accessed and downloaded free
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
Links to official statistical organizations worldwide (not just Europe).
- British Official Publications Collaborative Reader Information Service
A web-based database of British Official Publications 1688-1995
- Central Government site
Includes index to all departments and agencies
- Corporation of London
- Department for Work and Pensions
Information about current social security legislation and benefits. The Department was formed on 8 June 2001 from parts of the former Department of Social Security, parts of the former Department for Education and Employment, and the Employment Service
- Government Actuary's Department
Providing mainly public sector clients with independent, professional actuarial advice
- Office of Fair Trading
The aim of the OFT is to make markets work well for consumers
- Official documents
Full text of selected Government reports - White Papers, Green Papers and House of Commons Papers - and links to Acts of Parliament, Statutory Instruments and a range of other official information
- Scottish Parliament
Brings together the complete runs of all parliamentary resources. Current editions of the Business Bulletin, Official Reports, Minutes, WHISP (What's Happening in the Scottish Parliament) and other items which bear on current business
- UK Legislation
Full text of Acts of Parliament from 1988, Statutory Instruments from 1987 and other legislative documents
- UK Parliament
Includes the full text of many publications produced by the Stationery Office for Parliament, normally available on the same day as the item is published in printed form
- UKOP On-line
Subscription catalogue of United Kingdom Official publications together with listings of other major British, European and International organisations. Contains 360,000 continually updated records of official reports and documentation from 1980 onwards
- Welsh Assembly
- Wired-gov - A personalised e-mail alert service in collaboration with the Government's News Distribution Service (GICS Cabinet Office).
For any library enquiries please contact:
We try to respond to email queries within one working day. Researcher access to historical resources may require notice in advance of visit in order to retrieve items from storage.
Filter or search events
Presenter Matt Modisett
In collaboration with the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, the Principles of Responsible Investment is delighted to host this webinar discussing the response to the TCFD’s recommendations two years on from their publication. The webinar will feature new analysis of the 591 investors representing $45 trillion who responded to PRI’s 2019 climate indicators, insights from the past Chair of the IFoA’s Resource and Environment Board as well as an investor case study of implementation in practice from Aviva.
An introductory session to help you get ahead with climate change.
- Science, terminology and initiatives: handy facts to keep in your back pocket
- Getting your point across: how to influence people and avoid common traps and pitfalls
- Taking action: what are actuaries expected to do...and what are we actually doing?
This KSS talk, presented by the FCA Head of Department in Scotland, will focus on the following 3 main areas:
- FCA business plan priorities
- The future of regulation
- FCA Engagement in Scotland
Friday, 6 September, Beijing Local Time (CST) 14.00-16.30; British Summer Time (BST) 07.00-9.30
The IFoA Beijing Office and China Life are pleased to be co-hosting a Professional Skills Training (PST) session in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen on Friday, 6 September. Wen Li (FIA), the IFoA Lead Representative in China and East Asia, will lead the PST presentation and discussion on ‘Getting it right!’.
The main venue will be in Beijing. Members in Shanghai and Shenzhen can join the interaction with Beijing via video conference at China Life’s regional venues. (see full details below)
This event is now fully booked. Please click here to register for the wait list.
The actuarial profession has much to offer the world of banking. In this second webinar on opportunities for actuaries in banking we have two actuaries sharing their experience. They will talk about the opportunities there are in banking; describing the actuarial aspects of the work they do, the roles they see for actuaries and the skills actuaries can bring to the banking industry. They will share their experiences of how they got into banking as well as give their thoughts on how actuaries can enter the banking profession.
This KSS talk will explore how the Actuarial Profession is changing by looking at the past, the current and the future; considering what will be the key issues impacting the Profession over the next 20 years and why this will be different from today. Why will areas like data science be important? What does the future hold for reserved roles? What impact will the Profession have on other professionals? And much more!
GIRO is attended annually by over 800 delegates and speakers who are keen to discuss key topics such as Pricing, Reserving, Modelling and the future of the insurance industry. GIRO 2018 was a huge success and we have opened bookings early for what we hope will be another brilliant conference at the EICC in Edinburgh this year.
Presenter Jon Spain
This workshop, now in its sixth year, is aimed at senior actuaries working in life insurance - predominantly Chief Actuaries, but also Reviewing Actuaries and others working in risk and financial reporting. It will provide seven hours of relevant CPD.
Three actuaries – and CEOs – discuss their views on how the business world is changing and what that might mean for actuaries in the future.
Have you ever thought about working in wider fields? Would you like to play a role in the fight against climate change to make the planet better?
It can be difficult to do this - but seeing an example you can follow can make it more realistic. In this ‘green’ case study a template is outlined to show how actuaries can apply their skills more broadly - and in doing so, to make a difference.
The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries and the Royal Statistical Society have worked together to develop joint ethics guidance on data science. This is the culmination of an 18 month programme of practitioner led work.
Join us for the launch of this new guidance, with a high-level panel discussion which will explore the role of data science practitioners and professional bodies in data ethics.
The SIAS Annual General Meeting will commence at 5.45pm and be followed by a talk given by the well known economist and author, Steve Keen, at 6pm. A live webinar will be available.
This event is aimed at school age young people to encourage then into the profession
The Government Actuary’s Department (GAD) marks its centenary this year. George Russell, formerly Deputy Government Actuary, who currently heads up GAD’s Edinburgh office, leading on GAD support to the devolved administrations in Scotland and Northern Ireland, will outline GAD’s development over that period and its range of work today. Having just “celebrated” his 25th anniversary of joining GAD, George will also reflect on some of the challenges and opportunities of advising at the interface of the actuarial and the political worlds.
The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries is running a sessional meeting on autonomous vehicles on 28th October. The session will showcase the work of the IFoA “Autonomous Vehicles” working party alongside a number of expert external presenters.
ARC Event: Beyond Proportional Hazards: Statistical methods for assessment of the impact of medical advances and health interventions on longevity and population projections.
This workshop is being delivered by the Actuarial Research Centre’s (ARC) ‘Big Health and Actuarial Data’ Research Programme.
This evening will feature two new cases studies that highlight the implications for insurers of issues impacting on health and mortality for life, pensions, and health and care products; Impactability modelling: a worked example in Type II diabetes presented by Josephine Robertson, and Seasonal Mortality in England and Wales 1993-2016 presented by Mary Hall, Dublin City University.
The MRSC is responsible for guiding the profession’s research in the areas of longevity, mortality and morbidity such that it is recognised as a thought leader in this area. It has recently been reviewing what the priorities and have identified 6 areas that we believe are the most important areas of research that should be the current focus and these are:
In conjunction with the Scottish Board and supporting the IFoA’s focus on data science.
The IFoA’s Scottish Board have arranged for UK pioneer in Computer Vision and Machine Intelligence, Professor Andrew Blake to speak to delegates on the subject of AI in Autonomous driving. This lecture will focus on safety-critical operation and the computation of risk.
Join us for this brand new seminar that brings together our Current Issues in Pensions, Pensions and the Law, and Investment for Pension Actuaries events. The seminar builds on the IFoA’s Annual Pension Conference with sessions covering CDC, TPR’s code of practice, investments, legal updates and Professional Skills Training with a focus on interactive discussion throughout.
The National Records of Scotland (NRS) collects, preserves and produces information about Scotland's people and history to inform current and future generations - work that underpins the fabric of Scottish society and tells the story of our nation. This KSS talk will explore the following and other areas impacting Scotland’s changing population, and assess the potential implications of the changes:
- population statistics
- life expectancy
- changes in age structure
- birth and death rates, including causes of death statistics.
The Life Conference is the premier event for professionals interested in life insurance. Offering a wide range of workshops and plenary sessions it’s the perfect opportunity to discover what’s hot and current in life insurance ensuring you get up to date on the latest thinking and innovation whilst meeting and exchanging ideas with a broad range of professionals.
The IFoA is pleased to announce that this year’s Autumn Lecture will feature the Rt Hon Nicky Morgan MP as its guest speaker. Nicky has previously served as Financial Secretary to the Treasury and Minister for Women. She now chairs the Treasury Select Committee whose remit is to examine the expenditure, administration and policy of HM Treasury, along with all of its agencies and associated bodies.
Watch the live stream of this year's Autumn Lecture with guest speaker Rt Hon Nicky Morgan MP.
We are delighted to announce the launch of the findings from our ARC funded Behavioural Finance research with a special evening event at Staple Inn on Tuesday14th January 2020. Entitled Behavioural Aspects of Institutional Investment Decision-Making, this research programme is being delivered by City, University of London, Leeds University Business School and Ipsos.
This sessional meeting will be of direct interest to actuaries and others working in the in the Health and Care, Life or Pensions sectors or indeed an actuaries with an interest in morbidity or mortality.