Under the terms of the Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) between the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) and the Society of Actuaries (SOA) you must:
- have attained Fellowship of the SoA by completing the qualification requirements of the SoA, which may include education and examinations co-sponsored with other actuarial organisations(including where relevant, obtaining one or more of the SoA’s examination exemptions that are available from time to time), and not solely in recognition of membership of another actuarial association;
- within three years, up to and including the date of application, have completed at least one year’s post-qualification practical work-based experience of UK actuarial practice;
- have successfully met the requirements, prescribed by the IFoA from time to time, in respect of eligibility, education, professional experience, and continuing professional development;
- be a member in good standing with the SoA; and
- at the same time as applying, authorise in writing the SoA to release relevant records to the IFoA concerning any adverse disciplinary determination, finding, sanction and/or penalty, to which you have been subject, in accordance with the SoA’s disciplinary process. Such records may be taken into consideration by the IFoA in considering the application, and may be retained by the IFoA thereafter for as long as is reasonably necessary.
The full terms are set out in the SOA Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA).
If you are not currently a member of the IFoA you will need to become an affiliate and apply for consideration as a Fellow to begin the mutual recognition application process
- Apply for Affiliate Membership
- Complete the Application for Consideration as a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries for Fellows of the Society of Actuaries (SOA).
You must also include with your application:
- a recent letter from your actuarial body confirming your membership status
- a recent letter from your current employer confirming your length of employment
- proof of higher education (university) and professional qualifications
- proof of attendance at a professionalism course.
Your completed application must be sent to the Membership Team at the IFoA. Please check the application form and ensure you have included all relevant documents. You can send us digital copies of your signed application form and documents.
You might also like
If you have any questions about mutual recognition please contact or telephone:
We aim to respond to all initial enquiries within two working days.