At a workshop at the Actuarial Profession’s life conference taking place from 7-9 November 2010 in Birmingham, actuaries from Hannover Life Re (UK) explained that medical advances mean that life cover is being offered to people who are HIV+ in the UK and who meet certain criteria.
Successful advances in new treatments have changed the survival curve of HIV positive people. Recent studies show that a group of HIV+ lives who respond well to the latest HAART (Highly Active Anti-Retroviral Therapy) are now considered an insurable risk.
HLR UK confirmed that following a review and analyses of medical research they have built a model that allows for affordable terms to be offered to HIV positive lives.
HLR UK say terms are available to HIV+ people who;
- Show good response to HAART after 24 weeks that is continuing
- No significant co morbidities for example Hepatitis C
- History of good compliance
Life insurance is being offered for up to 10 years duration with a maximum sum assured of £250,000 with flat loadings from £3 to £10 per thousand of sum insured.
Terms have been offered to both men and women equally across a wide range of ages and occupations.
HLR UK estimates that at least 20% of people who started HAART treatment in the last five years can be covered now. ** Looking to the future, HLR UK say that keeping up to date on HIV developments, statistics and changes in treatment regimes is vital.
Julie Hopkins, head of underwriting and claims strategy, Hannover Life Re (UK) said ‘‘Not everyone who is HIV positive will qualify for cover today but HLR UK is an inclusive and forward thinking reassurer and we are committed to an ongoing process of review looking to extend cover to individuals wherever possible. Over time the number of people that meet the qualifying criteria will increase and we will continue to look at ways of broadening the coverage of terms.’’
** Source Hannover Life Re(UK)Limited
Enquiries: Tel. Michael Scanlan on 07798 804 871 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Kirsteen Grant, Marketing Manager of Hanover Re (UK) on:
Tel: 01344 846833 ; Fax: 01344 845383 ; or e-mail: email@example.com
Notes for editors
- Actuaries provide commercial, financial and prudential advice on the management of a business’s assets and liabilities, especially where long term management and planning are critical to the success of any business venture. They also advise individuals, and advise on social and public interest issues.
- Members of the Profession have a statutory role in the supervision of pension funds and life insurance companies. They also have a statutory role to provide actuarial opinions for managing agents at Lloyd’s.
- The Profession is governed by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries. A rigorous examination system is supported by a programme of continuing professional development and a professional code of conduct supports high standards reflecting the significant role of the Profession in society.
- The Profession is available to provide expert comment to the media on a range of actuarial- related issues, including enterprise risk management, finance and investment, general insurance, health and care, life assurance, mortality, and pensions
- Hannover Life Re (UK) is a leading reassurer. The rating agencies Standard & Poor’s and A.M. Best have awarded Hannover Life Re (UK) a rating of AA- (Very Strong) and A (Excellent), respectively. As part of the Hannover Re Group we benefit from the security of the third largest reinsurer in the world, sharing ideas and resources throughout this global network to provide the best possible services to clients.