The following will give you a different viewpoint on topics presented in SA5
You are not expected to have read all the items but you should ensure you familiarise yourself with current finance issues and general background.
The Economist Intelligence Unit provides leading country analysis and forecasts. IFoA members get access to detailed economic and political forecasts compiled by a wide network of on the ground contributors and highly skilled analysts on behalf of the EIU. Reports are available for the following countries:
The reports are for the latest month only. Reports are for non-commercial educational use by members of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries. The terms and conditions of supply are at http://www.eiu.com/public/terms.aspx This arrangement is managed by the library service, please email email@example.com with any enquiries.
The Economist: The World in 2017
The Economist's annual survey for the year ahead offers points of interest and background to support study of investment issues, its outlook from last year can be considered in retrospect too. The Economist now makes this annual print magazine available as an ‘App’ for purchasers, but selected articles of the latest edition are available at http://www.theworldin.com/
Members can access articles from British Actuarial Journal (BAJ) by Athens login to the IFoA eLibrary. Please contact Library Service to request an Athens account, available to IFoA members and Affiliates.
- Being actuarial with the truth. A story of economic confusion over defined benefit pension schemes. Carne, Simon A. SIAS, 2004. 48 pages.
- The cost of capital for financial firms. Exley, J.; Smith, A. D. BAJ (2006) 12(1): 229-301.
- Credit derivatives. M.J. Muir et al.; Derivatives Working Party. BAJ (2007) 13(2): 185-236.
- The economics of insurance - how insurers create value for shareholders. Hancock, John; Huber, Paul P.; Koch, Pablo. Swiss Re, 2001. 45 pages. See also: Value creation in the insurance industry. Hancock, J.; Huber, P. P.; Koch, P. Risk Management and Insurance Review (2001) 4 (2): 1-9.
- The financial theory of defined benefit pension schemes. Exley, J.; Mehta, S. J. B.; Smith, A. D. BAJ (1997) 3(4): 835-966.
- Frictional costs. Ng, H. M.; Varnell, E. M. SIAS, 2003. 63 pages.
- Getting to grips with fair value. Abbink, M.; Saker, M. C. SIAS, 2002. 74 pages.
- Lease terms, option pricing and the financial characteristics of property. Adams, Andrew T.; Booth, Philip M.; MacGregor, B. D. BAJ (2003) 9(3): 619-635. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1357321700004293)
- Measuring and managing the economic risks and costs of with-profits business. Hibbert, A. J.; Turnbull, C. J. BAJ (2003) 9(4): 725-786.
- Modelling and managing risk. Sweeting, Paul J. BAJ (2007) 13(3): 579-636.
- Modelling extreme market events. Report of the Benchmarking Stochastic Models Working Party. Frankland, R. et al. BAJ (2009) 15(1): 99-217.
- Modern valuation techniques. Jarvis, S. J.; Southall, F. E.; Varnell, E. M. SIAS, 2001. 55 pages.
- Pensions and economics: the way ahead. Wise, A. J.; McCarthy, D.; Neate, J. A. et al. SIAS, 2004. 53 pages.
- Pensions, funding and risk. Chapman, R. J.; Gordon, T. J.; Speed, C. A. BAJ (2001) 7(4): 605-686.
- The tax consequences of long-run pension policy. Black, F. Financial Analysts Journal (1980) July-August: 21-28.
(DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2469/faj.v36.n4.21) (Request from libraries)
- Theory of risk capital in financial firms. Merton, R. C.; Perold, A. F. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance (1993) 6(3): 16-32.
(DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6622.1993.tb00231.x) (Request from libraries)
- Theory of the firm: managerial behaviour, agency costs and ownership structure. Jensen, M. C.; Meckling, W. H. Journal of Financial Economics (1976) 3(4): 305-360. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.94043)
- Why can financial firms charge for diversifiable risk? Casualty Actuaries Society Bowles Symposium. Smith, A. D.; Moran, I.; Walczak, D. 2003.
The books below may be ordered on loan from: firstname.lastname@example.org. Titles link to book details on the IFoA Library catalogue where you can 'Request' to borrow the book. The libraries may acquire later editions of some titles to those cited and will advise upon requests. Where an eBook option is available this is delivered through the MyiLibrary service, you will need an Athens log in and password from the Library Service.
- Asset pricing. Revised ed. Cochrane, J. H. Princeton University Press, 2005. ISBN: 9780691121376 (Borrow from libraries)
- The Black Swan: the impact of the highly improbable. Taleb, Nassim Penguin books, 2008. ISBN: 9780141034591 (Borrow from libraries)
- Corporate finance and investment: decisions and strategies. 8th ed. Pike, R.; Neale, B. Pearson, 2015. ISBN: 9781292064062 (Borrow from libraries)
- Derivatives: the theory and practice of financial engineering. Wilmott, P. John Wiley, 1998. ISBN: 9780471983668 (Borrow from libraries)
- Financial calculus: an introduction to derivative pricing. Baxter, M.; Rennie, A. CUP, 1996. ISBN: 9780521552899 (Borrow from libraries | Access eBook after member login to IFoA eLibrary via Athens*)
- Financial economics: with applications to investments, insurance and pensions. Panjer, H. H. (ed) The Actuarial Foundation, 2001. ISBN: 9780938959489 (Borrow from libraries)
- Fixed-income derivatives made simple. What a trustee needs to know. National Association of Pension Funds. NAPF, 2005.
- Fundamentals of financial management: concise edition. Brigham, E. F.; Houston, J. 12th ed. South-Western, 2012. ISBN 978538477116 (Borrow from libraries)
- The handbook of international financial terms. Moles, P.; Terry, N. G. Oxford University Press, 1997. ISBN: 9780198288855 (Borrow from libraries) (Access eBook after member login to IFoA eLibrary via Athens*)
- Hedge funds and funds of hedge funds made simple. What a trustee needs to know. National Association of Pension Funds. NAPF, 2005.
- Inefficient markets: an introduction to behavioral finance. Shleifer, A. Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN: 9780198292289 (Borrow from libraries) (Access eBook after member login to IFoA eLibrary via Athens*)
- Investment mathematics. Adams, A. T.; Booth, P. M.; Bowie, D. C.; Freeth, D. S. John Wiley, 2003. ISBN: 9780471998822 (Borrow from libraries) (Access eBook after member login to IFoA eLibrary via Athens*)
- Management of company finance. 6th ed. Samuels, J. M.; Wilkes, F. M.; Brayshaw, R. E. International Thomson, 1995. ISBN: 9781861522290 (Borrow from libraries)
- Management of company finance: solutions manual. 6th ed. Samuels, J. M.; Wilkes, F. M.; Brayshaw, R. E. 6th ed. International Thomson, 1996. ISBN: 9780412718601 (Borrow from libraries)
- Options, futures and other derivatives. Hull, J. C. 8th ed. Pearson, 2011. ISBN: 9780273759072 (Borrow from libraries | Access eBook after member login to IFoA eLibrary via Athens*)
- Principles of corporate finance ['International edition']. 12th ed. Brealey, R. A.; Myers, S. C.; Allen, F. McGraw-Hill, 2017. ISBN: 9781259253331 (Borrow from libraries)
- Principles of corporate finance ('Global edition'). 11th ed. Brealey, R. A.; Myers, S. C.; Allen, F. 11th ed. McGraw-Hill, 2014. ISBN: 9780077151560 (Borrow from libraries)
- Swaps made simple. What a trustee needs to know. National Association of Pension Funds. NAPF, 2005. 16 pages.
* Please contact Library Service to request an Athens account, available to IFoA members and Affiliates.
- Annals of Actuarial Science
- Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin. (Bank of England: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/quarterlybulletin/index.htm)
- Derivatives Quarterly. (Institutional Investor Journals: http://www.iijournals.com)
- Financial Analysts Journal. (Chartered Financial Analysts Institute: http://www.cfapubs.org/loi/faj). IFoA Libraries hold vol. 46(2) (1990) onwards.
- Journal of Asset Management. (Palgrave Macmillan: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/jam/index.html)
- Journal of Finance. (American Finance Association: http://www.afajof.org/journal/browse.asp). Issues up to 2008 available via Athens. Contact email@example.com for login.
- Journal of Finance and Quantitative Analysis. (University of Washington: http://depts.washington.edu/jfqa/)
- Journal of Financial Economics. (Elsevier: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jfec). IFoA Libraries hold vols. 35-46 (1994-1997).
- Journal of Portfolio Management. (Institutional Investor Journals: http://www.iijournals.com/page/jpm/info)
- Professional Investor. (CFA Society of the UK: http://www.cfauk.org/shop/index.html). IFoA Libraries hold last 5 years' issues.
- Risk Magazine. (Incisive Media: http://www.risk.net/). IFoA Libraries hold 1999 onwards.
For any library enquiries please contact:
We try to respond to email queries within one working day. Researcher access to historical resources may require notice in advance of visit in order to retrieve items from storage.