Covid 19 Update
We understand that some students may be continuing to find it difficult to complete PPD if they are working from home or are not able to work/study due to effects from Covid 19. If you are struggling with completing your PPD and would like to record an exemption (break) in your PPD records please get in touch with Education Services. More information on PPD exemptions is available on the 'Monitoiring your PPD' webpage.
Please note: Students or Associates wishing to qualify as Fellow will need to ensure they have a minimum of 36 months work experience recorded, this does not include exemptions or breaks in your PPD record.
Overview of work experience requirements (PPD)
A short webinar running through the key work experience requirements, frequently asked questions and a demonstration on how to use the PPD portal.
How PPD helps develop your skills in the workplace
To work effectively as an IFoA qualified actuary, you need to develop your skills in the workplace.
- PPD allows you to demonstrate how you have applied in practice the knowledge and skills you have gained through the IFoA examinations.
- It develops your understanding of the business environment and how to work within a professional and ethical framework.
- Gives understanding to the need for continuing development of yourself and your skills, and to reflect on the quality of your work and how you can improve in the future.
Why is PPD so important
PPD is designed to make the work-related element an integral part of your ongoing learning experience. It brings the requirement into closer alignment with CPD which should be completed separately and in addition to PPD.
New student joiners of the IFoA need to consider their work-experience recording as soon as your membership is confirmed. Please note, the IFoA does now not allow any backdating of prior work-experience to you joining the IFoA. Your work experience recording period begins the date of your membership.
You will need to submit a minimum amount of credits and formal learning hours annually to be able to sit exams and maintain your student membership.
There are three elements to completing PPD:
- Satisfying a number of core competencies under three key objectives
- Maintaining a record of formal learning activities undertaken
- Demonstrating the learning gained from completing these activities
You can find full details about the requirement in our PPD Guides and FAQs:
- Recording PPD: what do I need to do?
- Transition from Work-based skills/work experience Form A/B to PPD
- PPD pro-rata requirements
- Monitoring your PPD
- PPD for 2019 Joiners
To be recorded as a 2021 qualifier you will need to meet the following deadlines by:
|Friday 14 January 2022||Have completed your PPD requirements, alongside send us all your learning logs and review questions, and a final sign off form completed and signed by a Fellow of an International Actuarial Association.|
|Friday 25 February 2022||Resolve any final queries on your documents and have these signed off by us.|
|Friday 4 March 2022||Sign and return the transfer form that we will send you.|
To submit your Practical Work Experience application final sign off to qualify you will need to:
- Download and complete the PPD/WBS Supervisor Final Sign Off Form. This must be signed by a Fellow of the IFoA or another recognised Actuarial body. Please note, the date of your Final Sign Off form cannot be less than 12 months for Associate or 36 months for Fellow from the date beginning of your recording period. Your application will be rejected if it is.
- If you submit your application more than 60 days from the date of your last PPD deadline, you will be required to complete your minimum PPD recording (3 credits and 2 formal hours) for your current PPD year.
- Log in to the My Account area of the IFoA website using the Apply for PPD/WBS Sign-off button below and select Application for PPD/WBS Final Sign-off.
- Select the correct Designation Sought and Submission Content from listed options.
- State the relevant PPD period and/or upload your WBS learning logs/Accredited Employer form, or Form A/B depending on the combination of work experience you are submitting.
- Upload your completed PPD/WBS Supervisor Final Sign Off form and make payment.
- Complete the Applicant declaration and submit your application.
Please note: If you are submitting a mixture of previous WBS or Form A/B documents you will need to upload these documents as part of the online application process.
You can track the progress of you application using Track Progress of My PPD/WBS Final Sign-off in the My Account area of the IFoA website.
- 14 December 2020
Member Services Team
Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, 1st Floor, Park Central, 40/41 Park End Street, Oxford, OX1 1JD
We aim to respond to all enquiries within two working days.
Filter or search events
Louise Pryor, IFoA President, will chair this free-to-view session, in which Alex Darsley, TPR, Actuarial Regulatory Policy, will be discussing the regulator’s Climate Change Guidance Consultation, which is seeking views on new guidance designed to help trustees meet tougher standards of governance in relation to climate change ri
Internal audit is often the Cinderella of the audit world. It’s a regulatory requirement for insurance companies to have an internal audit function, so why not make it as useful as possible? This session will look at how to link an internal audit plan to the risk register, and how that helps audit committees and boards to spot problems and fix them.
Climate change is one of the greatest risks facing our world today. Addressing it will require multi-faceted solutions. Through this panel session, we will explore the different levers that can be used to meet net-zero targets including climate science and data, government engagement, and mobilising green finance.