The UK/Ireland Student Consultative Forum is currently comprised of:
- students representing the regional communities
- students representing those with disabilities
- student representative(s) of the Actuary magazine
- senior committee/board members
- executive staff of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA)
- representatives of ActEd.
It meets twice a year and discusses:
- proposed developments and changes within the IFoA qualification and its associated processes
- feedback from the student population on current education processes, tuition arrangements, and wider aspects of the student actuarial career.
It does not discuss:
- concerns raised by either an individual or a small number of students if these concerns are felt not to be in the interest of the majority of students.
Copies of meeting notes will be published on this webpage following each meeting and will be presented and discussed at the next available Education Committee meeting.
The role of a student consultative representative
A student consultative representative is expected to:
- engage with the student community in their region, encouraging participation in shaping the quality of the student experience
- collate and summarise feedback in preparation for the meeting
- raise any concerns or questions presented to them, which they believe would affect the majority of students, with the IFoA executive staff outside of the two main meetings
- discuss feedback during the ‘representative-only’ section of the meeting and present the consolidated view of the group to the main meeting for discussion
- remain impartial and speak on behalf of the majority of students.
Students engaging with the student consultative representatives are required to:
- adhere to the Actuaries' Code at all times when working with student representatives and respect their role as part of the Student Consultative Forum
- explain clearly and succinctly what their concerns are and why they would like them discussed at the SCF meeting.
Notes of recent meetings
- Student Consultative Forum notes. 8 June 2018
- Student Consultative Forum notes. 17 November 2017
- Student Consultative Forum notes. 2 June 2017
- Student Consultative Forum notes. 18 November 2016
- Student Consultative Forum notes. 3 June 2016
- Student Consultative Forum notes. 27 November 2015
- Student Consultative Forum notes. 5 June 2015
- Student Consultative Forum notes. 7 November 2014
- Student Consultative Forum notes. 6 June 2014
Who should I contact?
|The UK forum membership includes|
|ActEd representative||Darrell Chainey|
|The Actuary student page editors||Jason Whalley / Joseph Mills|
|Representatives for students with disabilities||Nikki Edwards / Ruth Bryson|
|Birmingham Actuarial Society representative||Suzanne Wright-Smith|
|Bristol Actuarial Society representative||Sam Kingdon|
|Channel Islands Actuarial Association representative||Amber Buckingham|
|Faculty of Actuaries Students' Society representative||Stephen Jasinski|
|Glasgow Actuarial Students' Society representative||Craig Rodgers|
|London Market Students' Group representative||Alpesh Patel|
|North West Actuarial Society representative||Lauren Metcalfe|
|Norwich Actuarial Society representative||Danielle Nash|
|Staple Inn Actuarial Society representative||Thomas Leigh-Eldredge|
|Society of Actuaries in Ireland representative||Patrick Byrne|
|Society of Northern Ireland Actuaries (SONIA) representative||Ciaran Harris|
|Welsh Actuarial Society||George McMahon|
|Wessex Actuarial Society representative||Darren Morrison|
|White Horse Actuarial Society representative||Alex Miller|
|Yorkshire Actuarial Society representative||Sammie Caine|
|The executive staff who attend each meeting|
|Head of Quality and Assessment||Karen Brocklesby|
|Head of Assessment||Laura Griffiths|
|Quality Manager||Matt Tennant (Secretary)|
How can I get involved with the Student Consultative Forum?
Vacancies for serving on the Forum are advertised on the Volunteer Vacancies webpage. If you are interested in becoming a member of the Forum, please keep an eye on the volunteer vacancies webpage or sign up to receive the RSS feed.
You might also like
General information and practical advice that will be useful in your studies
Education Services Team
Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, 1st Floor, Park Central, 40/41 Park End Street, Oxford, OX1 1JD
We aim to respond to all enquiries within two working days.