Under the terms of the AAE MRA you must:
- be a fully qualified member of your association
- live and work for the majority of time in the UK and focus on UK-related work
- have a minimum of two years' practical experience in an EU country (either your home country or the UK) before a one-year supervised adaptation period can commence.
If you are not currently a member of the IFoA you will need to become an affiliate member and apply for Consideration as a Fellow to begin the mutual recognition application process
- Apply for Affiliate Membership
- Read the Notes to Application Form to Become a Fellow via the Actuarial Association of Europe MRA
- Complete the Application for Consideration as a Fellow of the IFoA for Fellows of the Actuarial Association of Europe (AAE).
You must also include with your application:
- a recent letter from your actuarial body confirming your membership status
- a recent letter from your current employer confirming your length of employment
- proof of higher education (university) and professional qualifications
- proof of attendance at a professionalism course (if attended)
- a photocopy of your passport.
There are two routes for mutual recognition under the AAE MRA
- study one of the specialist applications subjects (or write a dissertation under SA0), or
- undergo a one-year supervised adaptation period.
You must choose which route you want to follow when you apply for affiliate membership and for consideration as a Fellow.
There are additional requirements for applications under the adaptation period
To apply for mutual recognition by the adaptation period you must also appoint a supervisor for your adaptation period.
Your supervisor must:
- read the Notes for Supervisors
- complete the Application to Act as a Supervisor of an EU Actuary During the Adaption Period.
After the adaptation period is complete the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) will contact your supervisor to request a Certificate of Completion of Adaptation Period for EU Actuaries.
- Read the Notes for Certificate of Completion of Adaptation Period for EU Actuaries
- Certificate of Completion of Adaptation Period for EU Actuaries.
Your completed application must be sent to the Membership Team at the IFoA. Please check the application form and ensure you have included all relevant documents. You can send us digital copies of your signed application form and documents.
- 27 July 2011
- 10 August 2018
- 10 November 2015
Application form to become a Fellow via the Actuarial Association of Europe Mutual Recognition Agreement16 June 2015
- 16 June 2015
- 31 July 2018
- 16 June 2015
- 25 May 2018
You might also like
If you have any questions about mutual recognition please contact or telephone:
We aim to respond to all initial enquiries within two working days.