Under the terms of the Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) between the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries and the Actuarial Society of South Africa (ASSA) you must:
- have respectively attained Fellowship of ASSA by completing the qualification requirements of ASSA, which may include co-sponsored education and examinations of other actuarial organisations (including where relevant, obtaining one or more of ASSA’s examination exemptions that are available from time to time), and not solely in recognition of membership of another actuarial association
- within three years, up to and including the date of application, have completed at least one year’s post qualification practical work-based experience of UK actuarial practice
- have successfully met the requirements, prescribed by the IFoA from time to time, in respect of eligibility, education, professional experience, and continuing professional development requirements
- be a member in good standing with ASSA; and
- at the same time as applying, authorise in writing ASSA to release relevant records to the IFoA concerning any adverse disciplinary determination, finding, sanction and/or penalty, to which you have been subject, in accordance with ASSA’s disciplinary process. Such records may be taken into consideration by the IFoA in considering the application, and may be retained by the IFoA thereafter for as long as is reasonably necessary.
The full terms are set out in the ASSA Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA).
If you are not currently a member of the IFoA you will need to become an affiliate member and apply for consideration as a Fellow to begin the mutual recognition application process
- Apply for Affiliate Membership
- Complete the Application for Consideration as a Fellow of the IFoA for Fellows of the Actuarial Society of South Africa (ASSA).
You must also include with your application:
- a recent letter from your actuarial body confirming your membership status
- a recent letter from your current employer confirming your length of employment
- proof of higher education (university) and professional qualifications
- proof of attendance at a professionalism course (if already attended).
Your completed application must be sent to the Membership Team at the IFoA. Please check the application form and ensure you have included all relevant documents. You can send us digital copies of your signed application form and documents.
- 19 January 2015
- 4 July 2017
Application for Consideration as a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries for Fellows of the Actuarial Society of South Africa (ASSA)10 November 2015
You might also like
If you have any questions about mutual recognition please contact or telephone:
We aim to respond to all initial enquiries within two working days.