The GI Board will supervise the strategic outputs of this working party however, it remains a cross practice initiative with regular input from other practice area boards and members.
This Working Party was created to:
- further understanding of the latest in data science, big data, predictive analytics, machine learning and an ever wider range of mathematical techniques based on operational research, probability and statistics
- develop a tool kit for members of the profession dealing with techniques now associated with colloquial terms including but not limited to data science, predictive analytics, machine learning and big data
- consider where such tools and techniques are currently used; what sort of actuarial problems they might be applicable to; their implications for education, exams and continual professional development or the various codes of conduct
- outline ways in which this work can be made continual - and identify emerging areas that offer special opportunity in current or new domains
- undertake any other work and research as relevant and appropriate.
Keep up to date with the most recent developments in the data science realm, including outputs of the MAID Working Party, with the Data Science Digest.
Presentations from MAID Working Party Wrap Up Event, 21 May 2018
- Presentation 1: Summary
- Presentation 2: The Role of the Actuary in Data Science
- Presentation 3: Lifelong Learning
- Presentation 4: Data Science MIG
Outputs from GIRO 2017
Outputs from 12 May 2016 Data Science Universe Event:
- An Introduction to the Data Science Universe
- Data, Cognitive & The Internet of Things
- Use of Big Data For Actuarial Research on Longevity
- Data Science Universe Seminar - Modelling, Analytics and Insights from the Data Working Party - Update on work streams
- Audio file - Part 1
- Audio file - Part 2
- Audio file - Part 3
Practical Application of Machine Learning Within Actuarial Work - 01 February 2018
- IFoA Member Survey on the Data Science Universe. Results and Recommendations - 6 February 2017
You might also like
If you want more information about this research working party please contact the Communities Team.
Filter or search events
Delivered by the IFRS 17 Contractual Service Margin working party.
The Certified Actuarial Analyst (CAA) qualification has rapidly established itself as adding real value, to insurers and consultancies, and to the clients of consultancies, around the World. CAAs work alongside actuaries and actuarial students, as well as other financial services professionals, in an increasingly broad range of roles and fields.
This session is a repeat of the one earlier today at 09:30
Many individuals and institutions have a long-term focus, and invest funds for the benefit of future generations. Their strategy should reflect their long horizon. University endowments are one of the oldest classes of institutional investor, and I will present the first study of the management of these endowments over the very long term.
This year's GIRO has been re-designed as a virtual conference to offer members and non-members the opportunity to get up to date content from leading experts in the general insurance field via online webinars. All sessions will be recorded and made available to purchase and re-watch post-event on the IFoA's GI Online Learning Resource area.
This year's Life Conference has been re-designed as a virtual conference to offer members and non-members the opportunity to get up to date content from leading experts in the life insurance field via online webinars. All sessions will be recorded and made available to purchase and re-watch post-event on the IFoA's website.
This webinar will provide an update on the emerging thinking around future regulation of DB schemes:
The webinar will discuss the challenges and opportunities schemes face in evaluating end game options, choosing a target state and understanding the impact this strategic decision could have on member outcomes long after the “end state” is reached. Adolfo, Kevin and Rhian bring over 60 years of experience in the industry and a variety of perspectives as scheme actuary, covenant adviser, trustee, de-risking adviser and insurer.
Cash-flow driven investing is a game-changer for DB pension funds navigating their end-game. Suitable for sponsors who want to reduce risks on their balance sheets. And for trustees, it shifts the focus to providing greater certainty of returns, managing funding level volatility and ensuring they have enough income to pay cash-flow requirements.
Patrick Kennedy, Partner at Gateley Legal and Founding Director of Entrust (a leading professional pensions trustee company), will be delivering an update on the latest legal developments during the course of 2020. With both a pensions legal perspective and over 25 years of trustee service, Patrick will seek to highlight how the letter of the law has continued to evolve against the backdrop of a difficult and challenging year
The talk will provide an understanding of the priorities and relationships between deficit reduction contributions, in the context of wider scheme funding, and different types of value outflow from the employer based on the working party’s recently published report.