The GI Board will supervise the strategic outputs of this working party however, it remains a cross practice initiative with regular input from other practice area boards and members.
This Working Party was created to:
- further understanding of the latest in data science, big data, predictive analytics, machine learning and an ever wider range of mathematical techniques based on operational research, probability and statistics
- develop a tool kit for members of the profession dealing with techniques now associated with colloquial terms including but not limited to data science, predictive analytics, machine learning and big data
- consider where such tools and techniques are currently used; what sort of actuarial problems they might be applicable to; their implications for education, exams and continual professional development or the various codes of conduct
- outline ways in which this work can be made continual - and identify emerging areas that offer special opportunity in current or new domains
- undertake any other work and research as relevant and appropriate.
Keep up to date with the most recent developments in the data science realm, including outputs of the MAID Working Party, with the Data Science Digest.
Presentations from MAID Working Party Wrap Up Event, 21 May 2018
- Presentation 1: Summary
- Presentation 2: The Role of the Actuary in Data Science
- Presentation 3: Lifelong Learning
- Presentation 4: Data Science MIG
Outputs from GIRO 2017
Outputs from 12 May 2016 Data Science Universe Event:
- An Introduction to the Data Science Universe
- Data, Cognitive & The Internet of Things
- Use of Big Data For Actuarial Research on Longevity
- Data Science Universe Seminar - Modelling, Analytics and Insights from the Data Working Party - Update on work streams
- Audio file - Part 1
- Audio file - Part 2
- Audio file - Part 3
Practical Application of Machine Learning Within Actuarial Work - 01 February 2018
- IFoA Member Survey on the Data Science Universe. Results and Recommendations - 6 February 2017
You might also like
If you want more information about this research working party please contact the Communities Team.
Filter or search events
The IFoA’s Actuarial Review Team has published its first thematic review, which looked at the actuarial advice given by scheme actuaries to UK pension scheme trustees on setting transfer values and commutation rates.
IFoA Immediate Past President John Taylor would like to invite you to the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries’ (IFoA) virtual India Town Hall 2021, hosted by John Taylor with IFoA Council Member Mahidhara Davangere and IFoA Chief Executive, Stephen Mann.
What are the options for the world economy looking ahead?
In this Thought Leadership Lecture, Economist, Vicky Pryce, will be discussing world economic trends, including the differences in geographical performance and how output is recovering and where.
Trust and Leadership for Actuaries
Led by Dr. Jim Baxter, University of Leeds, this webinar introduces some key ideas in the ethics of trust, with a particular focus on those in, or on the path to, leadership roles. Dr Baxter is joined by a panel of experienced leaders who will give their personal perspectives on how they understand the value of trust and how they seek to promote and inspire trust, drawing on their experiences of leadership. The panel includes:
In this webinar, we have two presentations showing the latest research on the implications for life and health insurers of two key issues: genomics and pandemic risk.
Dr Peter Joshi and Paul Timmers will share their research on how well-established underwriting processes can allow for genomics in predicting expected mortality and morbidity. They will then discuss the potential for stratified screening and personalised medicine to improve health and reduce claim costs.
As the world’s attention begins to turn to COP26 later this year in Glasgow, Sarah Gordon (Chief Executive, Impact Investing Institute) will share her vision for how the financial services industry can deliver for people and the planet, as well as how to encourage more investment with the intention to generate positive, measurable social and environmental impact alongside a financial return.
IFoA Immediate Past President John Taylor would like to invite you to the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries’ (IFoA) virtual SSA Town Hall 2021, hosted by John Taylor with IFoA Council Members Mukami Njeru, Prosper Matiashe and IFoA Chief Executive, Stephen Mann.
IFoA Immediate Past President John Taylor would like to invite you to the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries’ (IFoA) virtual MENAP Town Hall 2021, hosted by John Taylor and IFoA Chief Executive, Stephen Mann.