- CMI_2016 was published in March 2017, accompanied by CMI Working Papers 97, 98 and 99. The Model is calibrated to England & Wales population mortality data up to 31 December 2016, and its method differs in a number of respects from earlier versions, following the consultation described in Working Papers 90, 91 and 93. You must be an Authorised User to access the Model.
- The Committee held a meeting at Staple Inn on 11 April 2017, in conjunction with the Staple Inn Actuarial Society (SIAS), to discuss recent mortality experience and the prospects for future mortality improvements. Slides and an audio recording are available from the SIAS website.
- The Committee does not intend updating the CMI library of mortality projections in future. However, given the interest in the National Population Projections, we have requested details of the 2014-based projections from the ONS in the form contained in the library. Corresponding life expectancies are here.
- Working Paper 101 was published in July 2017. This paper describes the experience of pension annuities in payment over the period 2011 to 2014. Accompanying spreadsheets show summary and detailed results. The paper and accompanying spreadsheets are available to Authorised Users only. An Executive Summary of the paper is available to all.
Working Paper 101 includes a summary of the Annuities Committee’s current thinking on future work. We would welcome views on this approach and prioritisation by 15 September 2017.
Assurances (critical illness and mortality)
- The Assurances Committee has issued Working Paper 94 which finalises the “08” Series assurances tables. This follows the consultation on the proposed tables, described in Working Paper 89 for accelerated critical illness and in Working Paper 92 for term mortality. The latest paper summarises the responses to the consultation, sets out the Committee’s rationale for retaining the proposed rates and outlines our plans for future work. The paper and the accompanying spreadsheets are available to Authorised Users only
The Committee is keen to receive outstanding assurances data for 2011-2016 and has set a target date of 30 September 2017 for submissions to allow "All Offices" results for all years to be produced. A brief summary of data requirements is available here.
- The Committee is intending to investigate offices’ appetite to participate in a specific exercise focusing on guaranteed acceptance whole of life mortality experience.
- Individual IP “All offices” experience results for the 2007-2010 quadrennium were released in March 2017 alongside Working Paper 96. The working paper describes the experience and updates some of the analysis by cause of sickness contained in Working Paper 72. A database of individual IP experience by cause of sickness, spanning 1991-2010, was also released. The paper and accompanying spreadsheets are available to Authorised Users only. An executive summary of the paper is available to all.
Self-administered pension schemes (SAPS) mortality
- The SAPS Committee is currently seeking new members. Details can be found on the Volunteer Vacancies page. The closing date for applications is 31 August 2017.
- CMI Working Paper 95 was published in February 2017. The working paper presents an analysis of the mortality experience of data received by 30 June 2016, covering the period 2008 to 2015. You must be an Authorised User to access this paper, although an executive summary is available to all.
- Working Paper 86 was published in November 2015. This paper presents an investigation into the mortality experience by industry classification of pensioners of self-administered pension schemes covering the period 2006 to 2013.You must be an Authorised User to access this paper.
High Age Mortality
- CMI Working Paper 100 was published in June 2017. The working paper illustrates alternative methods of estimating population exposures at high ages, presents analysis of mortality at the oldest ages and describes a framework for setting mortality rates at high ages for portfolio graduations. This paper has been made publicly available
- CMI Working Paper 85 was published in October 2015. The Working Paper presents the initial findings of the High Age Mortality Working Party. The Working Party was established to investigate issues relating to the estimation of mortality at very high ages. Alongside the report, the CMI is also releasing a reading list for users who would like to read more around this issue. The paper and reading list are publicly available.
- The CMI has produced a set of unisex rates that are intended for:
- actuaries undertaking Transfer Value Analysis in accordance with COBS 19.1 of the FSA Sourcebook
- actuaries preparing projections for Key Features Illustrations in accordance with COBS 13 Annex 2 of the FSA Sourcebook, and
- actuaries producing Statutory Money Purchase Illustrations in accordance with the FRC's Actuarial Standards Technical Memorandum TM1.
Note that an updated set of rates was issued in November 2016 including values applicable for the year commencing 5 April 2017.
- 28 November 2016
You might also like
If you have any questions about the CMI please email